Wednesday 21 July 2021

Eating my greens

They need to grow a bit yet these beans
Apart from new home and a birthday party, there is of course also this little garden of mine. Which is not that little to be honest, it seems to take up most of the garden now! But it does look great and is good fun. 

The Crimson Clover has started to bloom
Last Sunday I was sitting on the terrace with my breakfast enjoying the peace and quiet of an early morning. Bees and wasps were already busy and there was buzzing all over the place.

A wasp (?) and a ladybird on the Buddleia
When the sun became a bit stronger, the Red Admirals and Cabbage Whites arrived. They love the Buddleia we have, but the Cabbage Whites are also partial to my cabbages! 

Which are doing great by the way. Despite being eaten by the unseen caterpillars and/or other bugs. Plenty to go around.

The first tomatoes are here as well. Still very green and quite small, but as they are the cherry variety, they won't grow that big anyway. 

Radish flowers and seed pods
Two plants have started to set seed now: the rocket and the radishes. They will have to remain on the plant for as long as possible obviously (so my Mum says) to actually produce viable seeds. 

It looks like a gherkin!
My courgette that was didn't survive due to lack of water, but fortunately another one has started to form and I will make sure this one does survive. And my first cucumber is on the go as well.

My brother and his family gave me a small lemon tree for my birthday, but according to the sign with it: not edible. I had been thinking limoncello or pickled lemons, but alas. It still looks really good though!

Quite a few pea pods already. Growing big and fat!
The carrots have been harvested and eaten already and that pot will soon be moving with me and probably be filled with flowers for the time being. The rest will come as and when. 

11 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    What a harvest!!! I had to check about consumption of clover - small quantities okay it says; I know it as cattle feed! And inedible lemons??? What's the point? I'd still be trying them anyway! (Mum had an 'ornamental' calamondin in OZ - we had so much marmalade off that tree!) YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to my Mum everything can be eaten, albeit some things only once.
      If the little tree survives this year, I will try and get fruit from it next year. If I am successful, I will try and eat it. That way at least most of the chemical stuff is gone. Fingers crossed...

      Delete
  2. Enjoy the 'fruits' of your labour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little garden sure is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see your garden is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed. Everything looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fruits of your labour are looking good. Wonderful to be eating something you have grown yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And so much fun as well. I had never expected it to be that much fun.

      Delete
  7. Mara just think what a wonderful garden you will have when you move to your own home and with a wee plot of land.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun to enjoy all the fresh goodies. We have basil and chives for harvesting and are enjoying them in various dishes. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beans have mostly been harvested now: really good taste. I picked the cucumbers and courgette yesterday. The cucumbers are more fat than long, but taste nice and quite sweet. The courgette is really big and fat and will be used this afternoon for my dinner.

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!