Monday 19 July 2021

Birthday party

It was my birthday last month, but due to my sister coming a few weeks later, I scheduled my birthday party for July 17th. It was going to be watery. As in: sightseeing by boat, perhaps renting a small boat ourselves. 

One friend couldn't make it, as she was on holiday. Another couldn't make it as she was due to go on holiday. So, of the 17 people invited: 6 dropped out immediately. My friend in Scotland couldn't make it. Nor could my sister (this virus is slowly getting on my nerves!). My brother called: he was coming, but his family not as they were (going) camping and had travel time. 

H tried to putt, but he overshot
Eventually it was me, my parents and a couple who have known me all (she) or most (he) of my life. I still didn't want to do the Dutch thing by sitting around, having coffee and cake, followed by nibbles and chit chat. But the watery idea I had was doable with a sizeable group, not so much with a small group. 

 I in the 'Ruff'
In the end I had an idea. I had been to this place yonks ago and I thought it might be good fun to go there again. We were going to play golf! Not the Tiger Woods version, but not the Kurt Russell/Goldie Hawn 'Overboard' version either. Pitch & Putt. 

First there would be lunch at home. For this my brother, his wife and two daughters would come. Until that blasted virus knocked it sideways once again. Until they could come anyway. Until traffic got in the way in the form of accidents and roadworks. The other couple had similar problems: an open bridge which then wouldn't close again. 

In the end, everybody arrived. Lunch was eaten and then four cars left again. One car for camping, one car home to son (who wasn't able to come) and two cars for golf. Once there it was busy. Very busy. And due to this virus (have I told you it is getting on my nerves), not enough staff. But we did get our coffee and cakes and then we were told about the course and what to do.

My Dad and H searching for a ball 
The weather was glorious. Blue skies, sun, a bit of wind, 24 degrees C. All around fantastic. Perfect for a nice 18 hole round. Well... In the end it was only five. Due to all the troubles earlier in the day, we started a bit late and if we were to do the whole thing, it would be 10 pm by the time we would finish, as we weren't that good.

It was a lot of fun though. I took some photos with my phone and for some reason it takes short videos at the same time. Normally quite annoying, this time around it was perfect. On our return we visited our local Chinese to round off the day perfectly. Good food, good company. It was a good day, despite...

Video 1: My Mum teeing off
Video 2: My Dad teeing off and failing
Video 3: My Dad's ball had landed in the water and he needed to retrieve it. We were hoping, it didn't happen...
Video 4: Me hitting the ball
Video 5: Me hitting the ball again

12 comments:

  1. Het was inderdaad een zéér geslaagde dag. Bedankt daarvoor. Jammer dat mijn geweldige afslagen niet zijn vastgelegd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks different. I was expecting what we call putt putt courses, but yours are a little more.

    Happy birthday. Hopefully, you will soon get to see your sister and others again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    Yes, I had thought putt-putt - but pitch and putt equally fun if a little more challenging. Evidenced by said involuntary videos!!! It's the laughter generated and the company shared that makes the day and clearly you had a good one. Hooray!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a lot of fun. Especially when my father hit the ball in the water and under the bush. Well, when he tried to retrieve the ball anyway!

      Delete
  4. That looks like fun except where your ball ends up under a shrub or in the water. Good thing there was that long handled scoop to retrieve the ball.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh I see you were wearing your most gorgeous new frock too!
    You had very nice weather...in spite of the dwindling attendees.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! Yeah, we're pretty tired of all that virus stuff too. At least you got to do something fun on your birthday, even if there were a lot less people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea and loads of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you got to celebrate. Love the videos. Looks like it was a fun time. I've never heard you talk about your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed your birthday post videos. But the butts up photo literally had me lololololoing! kelm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That photo got the most reactions on Facebook as well. We had great fun on the day.

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!