Friday 2 July 2021

Dinner time

I can harvest some things almost daily
My parents came back from their 3 week holiday last Saturday and the first thing my Dad said once he saw my garden: it's a jungle! Not meaning the new house, but my allotment. And I guess if you haven't seen it for a while, it does look a bit like it: a jungle. In fact, some of the plants have already grown so big, I had to move them elsewhere so everything would have air and sun.

The courgette flower only blooms for a few hours
I have been checking and eating and watering and eating. The main eating is done from the Swiss Chard which grows really well. The rocket is now really flowering in earnest, but the leaves can still be eaten. The basil is also going strong. 

The first tiny flowers on the tomato plant
I have also eaten most of the snow peas. There are a couple left that I missed among all the green! And the other day I also eaten the first of the Lucinato Kale (or Cavolo Nero). It will continue to grow until well into autumn. 

The strawberries are not doing well
The tomatoes are now beginning to flower, as are the courgette. The beans are slowly becoming beans and the regular peas are also slowly coming on. The radishes have a mixed result: some grow really big and others stay tiny, but the plant is bigger! 

It smells like liquorice! (the Agastache)
For me this has been a real success and I have loved it. Definitely something to continue with next year. And I already have massive plans for the new garden, although that would involve winning the lottery big time. I do however know I want an edible garden with fruit bushes and room for other edibles. But that is for another time.

8 comments:

  1. You seem to have done well with it. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    All this says to me that you do have a 'green thumb' and once you get that home garden going it will never stop growing!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't stopped from when I first rented the place! The grass was knee high then, it is definitely bum high now! Nothing to do with me...

      Delete
  3. Your garden is growing so well. We can't wait to see what else you get to harvest from it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with YAM!! Obviously you have a gift so keep digging.
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to do a bit of gardening, years ago. Back then, though, angel Joey dog would eat a lot of it. He loved his vegies, and always knew when a tomato was perfectly ripe. Continued good luck with your vegies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes having a garden is really a great experience and fun! I go out each day and picked strawberries. The zucchini is a great grower. We now have cucumbers coming in a a red pepper starting. Our tomatoes have been rather slow. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmm, home grown veggies are so good.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!