Monday 29 June 2020

Moving about

The view on my cycle ride on Friday
Yesterday morning I was sitting in the living room. I had just had my breakfast and I just felt like I wanted to do some exercise. You read right: WANTED. The question however was: was I going to walk, or was I going to cycle. I looked outside and the weather was quite nice. Sunshine and wind. A fair bit of wind. Walking it was!

Don't get me wrong, I don't walk for hours. Not yet. At the moment I will do anything between 30 and 45 minutes, equating to about 2 to 3 kilometers. Which is fine. The main reason I don't do much more yet is that I want to get my pace up. Today I did just over 3 km (about 2 miles) and my speed was great. Just under 5 km/hour. I want to go faster than that before I add more distance. Building it up slowly.

That yellow sign is a bus stop sign
I also have to think of the knee. Several years ago when I still lived in Norway, me and my friend Pepperfly went out sledding. She hurt her finger (it still bothers her) and at the end of the day I fell quite badly on a stretch of ice. On my left knee. It hurt then, it still bothers me now. But I need to move it, otherwise I can feel it stiffen up. Which isn't good either. 

Cycling would be better apparently, as there is no weight on the knee then, just the movement. But I don't always want to cycle, I want to walk. See the bus stop right in someone's back garden. Enjoy the flowers in people's front yards. 

That is not to say I don't cycle. In fact, last Friday I did cycle. It had been boiling hot all day and I really didn't feel like going, but in the end, at 8 pm, I got up and went for a tour. I had the idea of going left, so I went right. I saw a small deer jumping away, a hare, several storks. Oh, and a gazillion flying creepies. 

I had several of those during the weekend.
Mmmmmmmmmmm and another reason to work out.
I will start cycling more. My goal is to be able to cycle to work and back every day (7,5 km one way). At least as long as I am working in this town. Chances are that come December that will be changed to a town about 40 km away. I am not cycling that! Not even on a nice sunny day. 

9 comments:

  1. Good for you. Keeping your goals realistic is half the battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I want to lose weight (30 kg, about 1/3 of my total weight), but I know I am not going to do it in one year. And if I only manage half, I would still be happy. Moving about certainly helps, even for shorter stretches.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    Little and often is as good as anything, Mara. Mac2 (younger sister) was a lass with a substantial grip on earth who last year took up the 'couch to 5k' challenge. Now she is jogging anything up to 10k!!! If you don't want to run, that's fine; No reason why the same workouts can't be applied. Those cookies look yummalishus!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister did that too, although she has fallen back onto the couch now somewhat. No support due to Corona will do that. She will get back to it soon I bet. Perhaps I can get her to join Mapmywalk as well and we can exchange experiences...

      The cookies were scrumptious. Those brownies were calling, even my mum said so: the chocolaty smell wafting through a room were enough to tempt. They are all gone now and apart from the pancake tomorrow, I am back on track. Not too many cookies now.

      Delete
  3. If you keep making those delicious sweets you will have to walk and bike much farther. Those brownies do look very tasty but a nice reward after a walk or bike ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my knees do better walking than cycling, but since my foot is bad, I can't test out the theory too much. Oy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned from all the Dutch students we had while I was working that cycling is second nature. Each one who arrived wanted to know where the bike shop was located. Only problem is Raleigh at that time was sprawling in all 4 directions nothing dedicated to bikers. That has all changed.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go, your doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have so much good sense to pace yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!