Wednesday 3 June 2020

Cooking

My mum's offering of snert (thick pea soup)
We take it in turns here to cook. Well, not under normal circumstances, but during Corona we do. At my mum's insistence, as she didn't want to do all the cooking. Mind you, it isn't all bad: the one who makes dinner, doesn't have to help with the dishes. Usually.

My mum is the cook who decides what we eat. Mostly. My dad is the cook who uses my mum as his armchair cook. I am the cook who will try different things. Some with great success, others ... not so great. 

I might have to try and recreate this pizza I had in a Roman restaurant
Yesterday it was my turn. First I had to make dinner for my dad. He was going back to work in the evening and needed to eat his dinner at lunch time. He got boiled cabbage. Last night I had to make dinner for me and my mum. There was some leftover spaghetti and I had seen a recipe that required spaghetti.

The recipe called for goat's cheese, ricotta and parmezan. I added some bacon, although next time I will keep it original I think. It was done within 15 minutes and it tasted great. Definitely a repeat performance at some point in the future.

However, now my dad has started work again, which means his turn will mostly be taken over by either me or my mum. I am always on the lookout for other dishes. Not necessarily vegetarian, but low in carbs (ie no or very few potatoes or pasta). 

This is so yummy!
I try to swap mashed potatoes for mashed turnip and carrot (on the Hairy Bikers fish pie, mmmmmm). I try to find other types of rice (cauliflower or broccoli) to cook with, although so far haven't tried it. 

Basically: if anybody has a recipe for a lovely meal (low carb/vegetarian/regular): yes please! Oh, and don't worry: Yam's mock oxtail and Yam's pumpkin soup are already in my new cookbook! 

10 comments:

  1. Neither of us is cooking often. My most recent dish was macaroni ricotta with zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My ghostwriter likes to cook a nice meal on her days off. Then there are left-overs for the days she works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    My word, I think you are doing rather well!!! I am am a huge fan of baby-leaf spinach and like to create meals using that is the centre; for example the theme might one day be grated chedder cheese, tomato and cucumber for a traditional sort of salad; or I might go the avocado and poached egg route, with the spinach lightly wilted; or again with the leaves uncooked and tossing through roasted haloumi, with walnuts or pine nuts, chopped capsicums (peppers) and dressed with a honey/lime/white vinegar dressing.... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are too. I am finding lots of interesting foodstuffs to make dinner with and the parentals are gamely trying everything. It doesn't always work out, but suggestions are always welcome.

      Delete
  4. That's nice the way you share cooking ! One of my friend is blind and her husband has cooked the whole time, she lost 5 kgs ! We laughed, poor man he is a good cook !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything is making me hungry. Are you on Pinterest? So many low carb recipes available.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My meals are pretty basic; a meat, a carb, and a veggie! Now that it's hot outside, I've been grilling more to keep the heat out of the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hubby has been carrying the load for the last several weeks. As I am still on a soft diet for several more weeks eaten in 6 small meals. None of that would be helpful at all. To give Hubby relief we ordered pre-made meals that we freeze. His is getting a wide variety of foods and in controlled portions. My niece and her husband have meal prep days. Set menu for the week and ingredient prep done on one day for the week. Then just cook the portions for each day as the menu comes up. That is way too organized for me anymore. hugs, janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I couldn't do it that way either. I am sometimes thinking I might do a menu for the week, but that would have to involve my mum and dad too and they want other things then I might. Unless I was to always do the cooking.

      Delete
  8. I am the Chef of the Manor and I do so love to try new dishes.
    I know there are certain things Bryan doesn't like. I avoid them. He is always an eager diner.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!