Saturday 25 April 2020

Step 4 and beginning of step 5

On Friday I was back to painting my room. And I finished it as well. Well, apart from the skirting boards, which were going to be done today. However, in order to get to them properly and not have dust and carpet fibers mixing with my brushwork, I needed to remove the carpet close to the wall first. 

I had a nice Stanley knife which was going to help me out, cutting the carpet up. But after only two cuts, or trying to make cuts, I gave up. I found a pair of scissors and used them instead. Much quicker and easier. 

The mess however, was incredible. I will remind you the carpet was laid in 1983, when we first moved in. It was my bedroom. It was our bedroom. It was a guestroom. Where we had walked, the foamy bit on the bottom of the carpet had disintegrated. Dust. And every I cut a piece away, I needed to hoover up the dust, before it became too much. 

I then decided that instead of painting the skirting boards, I was going to remove all the carpet first. A massive job sure, but a better plan as well, as I then had free range with those skirting boards. Right now I have removed about a quarter of it all. Although it is not heavy, it is very tiring work for some reason. 

Tomorrow I will have a day off and then on Monday: back to work! Remove the rest or at least a large part of it. Then paint. I should be done by the end of next week with that. After that there is another room where the carpet needs removing: my parents' bedroom. For that too, wardrobes will need to be emptied and moved out. That too will probably have more dust in it. 

But, on May 8th, the new carpet will arrive. We bought it yesterday. My parents picked theirs and I picked mine. Theirs is a light brownish colour I believe and mine is a light sandy colour. My room will be visible from space if you take the roof off!

11 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Light and bright is the way to go! As for flooring removal - it is never pleasant and always exhausting; no matter how clean we think we have been keeping things, that accrual of years of 'skin dust' just hangs on in there!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the painting over my head (new respect for Michelangelo I can tell you) and was exhausted, but on my knees/bum and just cutting carpet is equally exhausting. I will be glad when it's all done and I have a brand new bedroom!

      Delete
  2. Wow, you have been busy. That was a lot of work. How exciting to have the new carpeting coming. Thanks for the picture of the giraffe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looking good. At least you are making the most of your time in lockdown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. Things are getting somewhat better in the Netherlands, but my new job is only in June. If possible by then. It may take even longer which I am so not happy about. But nothing I can do about it.

      Delete
  4. yay for work progressing nicely. You are using your down time very wisely!! Looking forward to the finished reno
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate to think of what is under our carpets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pulling up carpet is no fun but it looks like you are making good progress. We can't wait to see the new carpet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe you that there was a lot of dust under the carpet ! Even after a couple of years it's so. But you did a great work already !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Progress is satisfying and tiring. My younger sister's home had a leak while they were away. In early March they returned to about 3 inches of water in most of their main level. Furniture having to be refinished, new carpet is some areas and the wood floor refinished again. She took the opportunity to redo the upstairs bedrooms. The painters are still working. Sis and BIL are living in their RV parked in a state park next to their home. That is to keep the social distancing! At least another month before they can move back into their home. She feels your pain! At least she had insurance $$ to pay the cost of people doing it for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but hers was a forced reno, mine was a voluntary one. Albeit a very necessary one: nothing had been done to that room for about 35 years!

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!