Wednesday 15 April 2020

Step 1

The old situation
As you know I live with my parents. Over the year and a bit I have lived here now, there have been some changes made to my sleeping quarters. Mainly the bed. Their old bed was thrown out and my new guest bed was moved in. But the bed could only be put one way and the window that opens and gives fresh air is on the other side of the room. With everything between the bed and the window: not a lot of fresh air gets all the way to me.

Plans were made: remove the partition and turn the two bedrooms into one again, albeit leaving the lowered ceiling. It would take some careful removing, it would need some gentle coaxing. It did not need any strong words. 

The door was out, now the partition
Today it happened. My dad would try to remove the partition and after a while my mum went and joined him. They had done a good job they said when I heard the electrical saw start up. Nearly professional they said when the woodwork came off. Not too shabby for two amateurs they said when they had taken the whole thing down.

In one piece!
The plan now is to get the whole room painted. There are five different wallpapers, including the original builders' paper. Which comes off quite easily. Not so the rest though, so to join everything together, we (well, I) will paint it. In a colour that is not white. Just nearly. My mum didn't think hot pink was a good colour for the room. Spoilsport.

After the room is painted, the carpet will come up. If I haven't broken my neck beforehand as some of it is loose now. New carpet will be laid, the furniture will be put in its place and then I will have a new room. Nearly. 

I think it will hold, even without supports
I will keep you posted.

8 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Seems to be just about according to plan. Nearly. So all good then! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good. I haven't started painting yet!

      Delete
  2. More than a year already? I am surprised. This should be good when it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a good time of year for a project like that! My GW thinks dad should get busy with some home improvements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done to your parents for getting the wall down. Good luck on the rest of the project.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!