Wednesday 27 February 2019

Like riding a bike... again

A regular road, but very little traffic
Yesterday's title may have been a bit confusing, but originally the post was meant to be about the cycle tour I did yesterday. The weather was so beautiful and I really wanted to get out of the house for a few hours. 

A former hay barn, the poles with the hinge things on top, would have lifted the roof as there would have been more hay.
This is a new fixed roof and I doubt whether there was any hay in there!
I had taken my camera with me, but obviously the wrong one: only the point and shoot and there were several shots I really would have liked to make with my other camera. So, hopefully the weather will hold out for a few more days and I can make my way with my big camera and its two lenses.

The new railway bridge spanning the River IJssel
I live in Zwolle now, which is located quite near the River IJssel and that was basically my port of call so to say. In fact, I did make it to a place where a ferry would land, but only from Miss O's birthday onwards (which also happens to be the birthday of the King of the Netherlands: Willem Alexander), so no boats at the moment. 

Shot isn't the best, but I loved this house!
I saw beautiful houses and farms, plenty of geese, sheep, ponies, horses and a plastic cow. And some other animals, but I won't show them today, you will have to wait until Friday. 

This is where the (pedestrian and bike) ferry would arrive
If you look at the right of the photo, you can see two more poles on the other side: the other side of the river
I bought my bike in Northern Ireland as a birthday present and I love it. It has a basket at the front in which I can keep my bag and my camera and so on. Because I am now in the Netherlands, I have left the helmet behind, nobody wears those here, apart from some children. Mind you, most cycle routes are cycles only or on occasion a 'car is a guest' road. 

A pollard willow. 
One of the photos above is of a pollard willow. Basically it's a regular willow, but every few years the branches will be cut off to be used in furniture and basket making. For some reason the trees tend to sort of fall apart after a while (several decades) and this was a good example. 

11 comments:

  1. What stunning scenery and going fur a bike ride is very good exercise
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mara you are surely having lovely weather and perfect for a bike ride. Over the years when I was working with international students we had many from The Netherlands. The first thing they asked me to help the do was buy a bike. I learned it is the major mode of transportation in T.N.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  3. You live not far from my son's father in law Marieken was born in Zutphen, and he still lives there !
    Don't talk about bikes, or I get a nervous breakdown ! They drive like mad in Amsterdam !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    Tree with character... what a wonderful exploration, and you have time now to properly reacqaint yourself. All good! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know I had never been there before! This was my very first time, but I don't think it will be my last. If I ever have enough money I want to live there: so peaceful and quiet, yet only ten minutes away from my parents or town!

      Delete
  5. What a great place to ride a bike! Ghostwriter used to ride her bike with friends, over the Grand Island Bridge in Niagara Falls, or the Rainbow Bridge to Canada (no, it's not the one pets cross over) several times during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to cycle to school every day when I was younger and went on several cycling holidays with either a friend or my sister. Sometimes on a nice day, I would cycle to a friend who lived about 15 miles away and at the end of the afternoon I would cycle back again.

      Delete
  6. Very nice. Getting out and riding is so awesome. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fresh air! Bike purchased for triathlon, maybe if I remember?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a bike purchased for the triathlon, but that is being sold. Last year I bought myself another bike for my birthday and I am using that one now. Much easier on the shoulders and the neck. Plus it has a little basket in front which I love.

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!