Thursday 7 February 2019

Back home

The first few things are being unloaded
So, we made it home. Nice and early on Sunday morning. A day which was mainly spent lugging heavy suitcases up two flights of stairs and doing nothing much. Apart from Miss O of course, who spent her day exploring. 

On Monday I had to register myself as living in this municipality. They only work by appointment, so made an appointment for Tuesday. On Tuesday I went again. When she asked from what other municipality I had come, her face fell when she heard the answer. I needed a different person to help me with that, because it would take a whole lot longer than she could give me, plus I would need some more documentation. *Sigh* Next Tuesday it is!

Fortunately the bank account was a lot easier to open. We went in, talked to the guy, he took my details and before we knew it, a regular and a savings account were open. I couldn't do anything with them yet, needing a bank card and some other details and stuff, but as they arrived today, I am good to go. All the money that my sister had held in her account for me, was transferred into mine, so at least now I can pay my own way instead of asking her to get my money for me. 

The very last
Other things that have already been sorted: the vet for Miss O and the registration database for her (she has been chipped). I am in the middle of getting my health insurance sorted, which may come through tomorrow or may take a bit longer as it depends on whether or not I am officially registered in this country. But at least it's in the works and only needs a final 'yes'. 

On Tuesday evening Gera and I visited some friends of my parents/us, who live in an apartment block. In that block apartments become free quite regularly and I have been thinking of trying for one of them. I just wanted to see whether it would suit me size wise. They also showed me the 1-bedroom apartment of a friend of theirs, which was definitely too small. But their 2-bedroom one would be quite suitable and I think I would have the room to park everything I own. 

As soon as I am officially registered, the tax people will know about me as well and I then I can get the tax form I need and then I can start applying for one of those apartments. Eventually I would want a bigger place of course, preferably one with more than just a small balcony, but for starters it would be perfect. I will keep you posted on that. 

Other than that, not much. I have been asking for a job, but even if I don't get to drive immediately (police record checks abroad might take some time), I can work in other places as well. I have done in the past and am not afraid of it. 

I will be using the green one, the other one will be sold.
So, I made it home. In fact, not only did I make it home, so did my things. The container arrived on Tuesday and the four Dutch movers made short work of getting it unloaded into the storage unit. I took a few things out, like the bikes, as I will not be buying a car just yet, but cycle. I might get fit again! *Gulp*

12 comments:

  1. It seems to be going fairly smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Mara and thank you for the update. Dad of Madi asked about your move just recently. I will tell him you are safe and sound. Sounds like was very efficient too. I had no idea all the rig a ma row one had to do once relocated. Probably the same here but I've never moved to another city or state.
    What city in The Netherlands? I have a friend who, studied for his MS at NCSU, who lives in The Hague.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do sound VERY busy but also very organised! Hope all works out just pawsome for you in your new home
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're glad to hear all your things arrived safe and sound as well as you and Miss Oswin. It sounds like you have a lot to keep you busy getting settled in for a while. I hope you find a job you like and a nice apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    And so the merrygoround of resettlement is turning as it must... well done! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. We still don't know how you manage all this! Glad things are going well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all seems to be falling into place. Bureaucracy's a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bureaucracy so far seems to be fine. Northern Ireland was definitely worse!

      Delete
  8. Good job! Obviously you are an expert at this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The moving itself: yes. The starting over? To a degree, as every country has its own foibles and ways of doing things.

      Delete
  9. That's how I feel about my insurance right now....I take one step forward and two steps back! Glad your bank account went smoothly. That's sounds good about the apartment. Good luck biking!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!