Wednesday 13 February 2019

Illegal

Looking out over the Atlantic Ocean over Northern Ireland
That's what people (read Mum and Dad) call me right now: illegal. I am in this country illegally. Of course that is rubbish. I have a Dutch passport and I have every right to be here. However, there are certain things I am not allowed/can't do. 

As I said, I need a compulsory health insurance. In Norway I was state-insured and only had to pay a little for doctor's visits and medication. In Northern Ireland I was state-insured and didn't have to pay anything. In the Netherlands I need the health insurance and then doctor visits are free and some medication is free. 

But the insurance companies do not want to insure people who are not officially entitled to it of course. So, if you think Dutch healthcare is better than elsewhere and you want to enjoy it, you have to be officially registered in the Netherlands. To avoid fraud obviously. 

Yesterday I went back to City Hall (well, City Office as it's called) where all things relating to officialdom is handled: births, deaths, marriages, driver's licenses*, passports, id-cards, registration to name but a few. I had the paperwork required (a letter from my Dad stating he allowed me to live with them, signed as well, isn't he the nicest Dad?) and my passport. I had to give them my last address abroad, give information about my possibly changed status (single, married, widowed, divorced, children) and that was it. 

They checked my passport against the new photo they took with their fancy gizmo on the desk (they matched apparently) and I signed a piece of paper. But, I wasn't registered yet! From the lady's office, it would go upstairs to be checked and then, if all goes well, I would be official and LEGAL! However, the lady was very kind and wrote on top that they had to deal with it asap, as I need medication. 

The medication I can get even without health insurance: full price thank you very much, both for doctor and meds. I still have enough to last me two months (endometriosis) or several attacks (migraine), but I will need a renewal after that. But once I am registered, it should be smooth running. 

*See tomorrow's post.

8 comments:

  1. You need to meet requirements here, but once you do, doctor and hospital visits are free plus any prescribed blood tests etc you are sent to outside of the hospital. Prescriptions, dentists, physiotherapists etc are not covered although prescriptions for seniors are highly subsidized. And they now are free for youth under 25. That's in our province. Not sure about the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Bureaucracy is everywhere. Absolutely everywhere. Can't wait to read what happens around the D/L! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must admit it was a bit easier than Northern Irish bureaucracy. Perhaps also because I know where to go. Definitely makes it a bit easier for me.

      Delete
    2. ...yes, a large part of any equation is knowing what belongs where! Yxx

      Delete
  3. Oh, the joy of being insured.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like things are moving in the right direction. Hopefully you will be all squared away in time to get your medications.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!