Monday 10 August 2020

The results

So, how did you get on with my little game last week? Did you get one or did you perhaps even get them all. Well done in any case for giving it a go. But in case you didn't get them all or indeed any of them, here are the answers:

The first one was obviously the birthplace of Vincent van Gogh: Zundert. Spot the sunflowers under his crib!

The second one was clearly Amsterdam. The red light district might have been a give-away, or perhaps the Achterhuis of Anne Frank (which to be honest I never spotted, it was Yamini who did).

Number three was the easiest of all of them: Leeuwarden. Wasn't it? Well, you had to see of course that it was a lion (leeuw in Dutch) and then you had to spot the Frisian flag. There is only one place it could be in that case. Duh!

Number four was a bit of a word play. First you had to figure out that it depicted Willem Alexander. Our 'King'. Translate king into Dutch and you get koning. Stick a g in front of it, replace the k with an r and put en on the end and you get Groningen. A student city.

I think the fifth one might have been the hardest. I mean I wouldn't want any Delft pottery thrown at my head, but of course it was Delft.

The final one was probably a bit difficult. You really had to spot the three different flags and the letters on the small pole. Then you probably had to look up where the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium all met in one go, which is Vaals. Not sure where the sheep comes in though. Unless it's a dog...

6 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    What fun! I did okay for a non Dutchie! Would not really have ever gotten the royal one. And if had had time to research, might have got the lion... I did see the three flags and post with numbers but my connection of 'the lowlands' was a little off the mark, though in the same idea! So I had fun, knew a few and learned more. All good!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did very well for a non-Dutchie! Congratulations.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the answers. We didn't do too well but we learned some things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delfts still my favorite they make me smile and I love the pop of blue
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's all very interesting. I wish they'd do something like that here in WNY. We have a lot of history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The was fun. Thanks for the answers.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!