Thursday 20 August 2020

Just stuff

Sometimes my life isn't that interesting at all. Just the mundane stuff of day to day living. Like doing the laundry. Ironing sheets and tea towels and gazillions of handkerchiefs and the occasional shirt as well. Folding up clothes and towels. 

I do a fair bit of cooking. Last Sunday I made a complete dinner: starter, main and dessert. The starter was so easy and really good: tomato and basil soup. Done within half an hour with barely any fuss. Plus, as soups go, really tasty as well, even my Dad said so (he is not fond of tomato soup). 

The main was crispy duck with Chinese pancakes, which were all done from scratch. A bit more work, but my golly, it was really good. Definitely a keeper for the books! And for dessert we had a dessert I had already made once, but was so good, I did it again. 

After four days off, it was also back to work. Not that I am really overtaxing myself here: my shifts this week are between 5 and 8 hours. Yesterday I had a shift just short of 5 hours with a one hour paid break! Of course there will be weeks where I will work more (not next week though), but as I am only on 32 hours a week, it's fine. 

I have gone back to reading as well. Which is obvious, as I have gone back to working. And for me those two go together. During my four and a half months at home, I barely touched a book and if I did, it didn't hold my attention for long. But, now I am back and I have to really work to get caught up, according to Goodreads, I am 28 books behind schedule!

I did start reading Harry Potter again (start number 5 soon), but I am also going back to the book club I joined a while ago: the next book to read is The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving. I read this when I was in my late teens, so it will be interesting to know what I remember (nothing most likely) and how I feel about it now, as I loved it then.

The head is keeping up as well. I keep a record now of when I do get a headache. The longest without was about a month, which was really good going. Recently it was about 10 days, which is still okay. My back was also starting to give me trouble, but I had to adjust my seat differently and problem gone! My knee is still a bit of a grrr, in that walking for longer distances will give me bother. Cycling is okay, but I only cycle to work on early/day shifts and only if the weather is good. During last week's heatwave, there was no way I was going to cycle to work. 

Other than that, everything is going fine. The finances are looking up. We are still Corona free. Miss O is still scared stiff of Hitler, the black and white cat prowling around the neighbourhood (we don't know its real name, but she scares Miss O, hence Hitler). 

And life continues...

8 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    All in all, that looks like life is rolling along just fine - and that is worth posting about!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just rolling along. With some ups and some downs. But in general, it's just rolling...

      Delete
  2. Thumbs up for good cooking and no (or fewer) headaches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like things are mostly going well for you. That dinner sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a very yummy meal you made! We're glad things are going well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH my word you iron sheets!! wow....yay you!! I love soup anytime of the year.
    Ironically a friend and I were discussing books from the past..she told me how much she enjoyed The Hotel New Hampshire years ago. I have never heard of it. I'm keeping an eye out for it on BookBub.
    Ms. O I agree Hitler is a fitting name...remember the phrase stranger danger when you are out and about. I'm sure it refers to Hitler
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark loves crispy duck. Can't find any good ones here in the states! Glad you're reading again. So do you know what trigger the headache? Stay well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely sounding dinner. There are always bully cats I guess. And bully people.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!