Monday 3 August 2020

A little game

Are you in the mood for a little game? It will take some work though, especially if you are not Dutch. Which most of you aren't. But you could still have a go. Here's what I want you to do: find out which town or village is meant in the photos. Like the top one. It's obviously a sculpture of André Rieu and he comes from Maastricht. So, up to you now! Can you find out which others are depicted? (ps, dusting off google translate to help with the Dutch words might be helpful). Eternal glory to the one who gets them all!

This is the first one. And no, I am not going to give you clues. There are plenty here. Just let those little grey cells work a bit...

If you can, zoom in for more clues! Which are there you know. Really, they are!

This was definitely my favourite. And I will even give you a clue: my sister was born here!

Okay, a letter one here, but doable. Very doable. Even for all those students... (wink wink). Unless you don't know who it is of course. In which case I will give you a clue: orange.

You do know this one. You do you know. Of course you do! 

And we are at the end now. Literally. Or the beginning, depends where you're standing really.

12 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    1 - V Van Gogh - Zundert
    2 - Anne Frank - Amsterdam
    3 - The Dutch Lion? Netherlands soccer???
    4 - ...maybe Jan Hemelrijk? (mathemetician) Arnhem
    5 - has to be Delft, right?
    6 - hmmmmm... not sure of this one... to do with the federation of the lowlands maybe??/

    All fabulous works!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never even spotted the Anne Frank connection! Well done.
      The answer to number 4: think Orange. As in Royal Orange...
      And for the last one? Do we have a federation of the Lowlands?

      Delete
    2. ...I vaguely recall European history lessons and something about one of your Williams (1st?) of Orange seeking to unify the 'low countries' - might have been Netherlands, Flanders... Lux'brg??? Pardon my flapping about in half knowledge. Too tired to go researching. .... and am guesing the hint for #4 is the royal house? You gave us some fun. Ta. Yxx

      Delete
    3. Our first king in 1815 was William I and he was king of the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg. However, Belgium didn't want to be in this union and a 'war' ensued, resulting in the independence of Belgium in the 1830's. Luxemburg stayed in the union until we had a queen: their constitution said no woman could be on the throne, so hence it no longer had a Dutch monarch and continued as a Archdukedom. I think...

      Delete
  2. 1. Haarlem?
    2. Amsterdam
    3. Leeuwarden
    4. Groningen
    5. Delft
    6. Hoogeveen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea, but I am passing as sleuthing doesn't fit in with my morning routine. Sorry about that,

    ReplyDelete
  4. We could only guess on the first one as Zundert where Vincent Van Gogh was born. The rest we have no clue but it looks like Yam did a pretty good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew Delft...my gray matter is older than dirt....lovely game though and beautiful sand sculptures
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't got a clue. Don't even know where to start in trying to Google them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, 1 is Van Gogh, 2 is Amsterdam and makes me think of Anne Frank. Three is unknown to me mathematician. Four, sort of the shield of the monarchy? 5 is Deft maybe. Totally clueless on the last one. Do not even know how to word q question for google.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!