Thursday 27 August 2020

Oof!

Yesterday morning the weather was just absolutely foul and there was no way I was going to cycle to work. I took the car instead and how lovely it was, being nice and dry. I was nearing work and waiting for some lights to turn green, when all of a sudden: Bam! I had been hit by the car behind me. I slammed forward and just about managed to hit the brakes before hitting the car in front of me. 

Immediately my neck hurt and a headache came up and it took me a minute to get my full bearings again. The person from the car behind came forward with his European Damage Form, but I told him, we were in the middle of a very busy road and traffic was going fast: we needed to move. We then moved to a quieter road where we filled out the form (we don't just exchange names and numbers, we go official and it takes a lot of the sting out of it).

After we had filled out the entire thing (well, the front anyway), we realised we had filled out the wrong page so after I located another one, we started afresh. Finally, about three quarters of an hour later, we could both continue on our journey. 

I had already phoned work to say I was going to be late due to an accident, so when I arrived 45 minutes late, it was not a problem. Somebody else had taken over my shift and I just needed to release him. After a few hours driving however, I thought it might be prudent to phone my gp and make an appointment to check I was okay. 

Which meant that once I had finished work for the day, I headed to my gp to get checked. Well, no whiplash (they don't use that term anymore apparently), but listen to my body and rest for a week, after which I could start again. And for insurance reasons: get an x-ray.

This morning I phoned the hospital to get the x-ray sorted and I could come almost immediately. With a hurting back, neck and head I was driven by my Dad to get x-rayed. However, once there, I was told a scan would be a better option. Off we went to the first aid department. 

Once there I was prodded by the doctor and in the end they told me that due to the symptoms I presented they weren't sure that a CT scan would be adding any new information, so they adviced me to take pain medication. I also should do things so my muscles wouldn't start to stiffen up and cause more trouble. So far the pain killers are doing their job, although hoovering, cleaning toilets or work are not going to happen just now.

There was however one other party involved in this accident: my lovely red car. After visiting the gp yesterday afternoon, I drove to the garage to have it checked out. It looked okay-ish, but I know from experience that looks can be great deceivers. I made it just before closing time for the mechanics, but they did have a look.

Basically, the rear bumper may look okay, but it has been pushed forward causing trouble for the boot, the bumper itself, the light and who knows what else. Apparently the cost of repairing all of that goes way over the value of the car which means it will declared a total loss. Which in turn will most likely mean I will have to go on the look out for a new vehicle. I will find out soon, as it is now an insurance case.

But, everything else is fine. Just so you know.

12 comments:

  1. What a pain. I assume as the other driver drove into you his insurance will be paying for everything but it doesn't lessen the amount of running around you have to do to sort things out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The literal pain in my head and the metaphorical pain in my head about the car are both ehm... well... pains in the head I could well have done without!

      Delete
  2. We're so sorry to hear about your accident and have our paws crossed that some rest will help you feel better. That's too bad about your car too. We hope you can find a good replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    B*****... Thank goodness for insurance is all I can say to that! Glad you are (more or less) okay though. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for insurance, but given that she is a little old beastie, it might be costing me more than I bargained for. After all, I am not going to find another gem like the one I have now!

      Delete
  4. They also wrote off our car after the accident. They give you what they say the car was worth, but, of course, it is not enough to buy your next car, or at least it wasn't in our case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are okay. Sorry about your car. Hopefully you will be able to find something that you love for a good price. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mara I am so sorry. Very thankful you were not pushed into the intersection which I'm sure was busy. The last thing you needed was this to aggravate your neck, shoulders and back and bring on the dreaded headache. I remember you loved your little red car too. Geeeez
    Healing hugs
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! thank goodness you are ok - hope you are still keeping well and not suffering any more effects of the accident. My husband just crashed his car. He was ok but the pain of dealing with insurance and waiting for them to process the claim and then having to buy a new car while in lockdown was not a fun process. I hope it will be relatively easy for you. Keep well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just heard officially it will be a total loss, which is a shame. On the other hand, I might get a car that has a few more features that are handy. Like electric locks and windows! Not to mention a working radio...

      Delete
  8. Well, shoot, (another expletive expression). The car can be replaced. Now the body stuff could last longer than the next car. Surely hope not! After being hit by an uninsured driver who was felon that was in the area against her probation, driving a vehicle she did not won and no drivers permit, our auto was totaled. The car was still drive-able so we bought it back from the insurance company. We drove the car for at least 4 more years.We eventually just donated the vehicle when we moved to Texas. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will get myself a new one. Just because it feels safer.

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!