Monday 8 July 2019

The itch

It started before I left Northern Ireland. At the time I didn't know what it was, I just felt an itch and an itch needs scratching. Which I did. And did. And did some more. Until eventually my hand was bleeding, while the itch was still there. 

Then I started seeing dots on both hands. And guess what: they itched! I saw a doctor and she told me: eczema! What? I was told to use heavy duty fatty creme on my hands, I was prescribed some hormone stuff. But the itch continued. To my upper legs this time and to my upper arms. Fortunately both legs and arms don't itch as much, but the hands...

Yesterday my parents and I were talking about the back pain I had last year. Lumbago according to my dad. His father used to suffer from it, especially in the autumn. And then my grandmother had to rub cajaput oil on his back and that apparently relieved the pain somewhat. I had never heard of that oil, but we soon found out it came from the other side of the world: Australia/Indonesia and the word is Malay. It was a relative of the tea tree. 

I was familiar with the tea tree as I had used tea tree oil on one of my cats years ago to relief him of some itch he had. Hm. Itch...

Does anybody have any experiences with tea tree oil?

6 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Yes, of course, mate! You need to be a bit gentle with it. Rather than use it 'neat', put a few drops into some almond (or other high-grade, skin-friendly oil). It has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. You should definitely 'patch test' it as occasionally, people can be allergic to it thus causing more trouble. I love it - but for bites and stings and such. Have never had dermatitis, so am not sure how effective it would be. Certainly worth a try though! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to me that someone in the family once tried that oil, but since it is such a dim memory, I suspect that it didn't do much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Use it some for soaking sore fingers in a mixture with water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No I do not. I use a children's Benadryl melt for itching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not me but boy do I sympathize with the itching. I have contact allergies (been tested) when they flare up they are such a nuisance. I hope you get relief soon.
    My go to daily treatment is Aveeno Body Lotion. I only use Dove sensitive skin for my shower too. For many years both of these have kept the itch away
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope, no experience here. Good luck getting that itch taken care of though!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!