Wednesday 31 July 2019

More health news

Our home is a home filled with pills. Out of us three, two have to take medication on a daily basis. My mother is the only one who doesn't. That doesn't mean however that she is without her medical problems. 

As you probably remember, my mother was diagnosed with bowel cancer a couple of years ago. They caught it in the early stages and she was given the all clear eventually. But, as with all cancers, she has to have regular check-ups. Yesterday was one such and she came out with a positive result! Next year is the next check-up. This was happy news.

My father is not free of medication. His 'illness of choice' being diabetes. He has worked really hard in losing weight and getting this, that and the other down and yesterday he had his check-up. His doctor was really pleased with his progress. Keep up the good work. 

And lastly there's me. I take daily medication for migraines (the beta blockers) which really help. I have not had a migraine attack in several months now (the headaches are not migraine related, but bad body posture related). The other medication is for endometriosis.

First of all: endometriosis is a condition where the female body decides that the eggs released are foreign bodies and decides to treat them accordingly. They encapsulate the 'foreign body', but then don't seem to stop. In my case it had not only encapsulated the 'fb', but also part of the urinal tract and the bowels. Turning a quite harmless condition (most women have it to a certain degree) into a potentially lethal one. 

I had my operation in 2015 and since then I have been using the anti conception pill to combat a re-occurrence. It basically stops the endometrium in the uterus or belly cavity to react and cause more problems. But, despite using the pill, I had never had a check-up since. I wanted answers.

Yesterday I went to see a gynaecologist, after having asked my gp for a referral. He listened to my story and checked me out down there. 'The Norwegians had done a good job, both in the operation as in the advice regarding the pill departments'. He couldn't see anything wrong, nor could he really find my remaining ovary, which apparently shrivels up with age. 

He then told me that as most Dutch women go through menopause between 50 and 52, he felt that if I were to take the pill for two more years, that would be enough. When I turn 50 I can stop taking the pill and any problem arising from the endometriosis will be dealt with and removed when I go through the change.

So, that's us three! We may not be the healthiest family, but we all got good news yesterday!

11 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    Cause for celebration, I'd say. To have things stable is often as good a result as we can wish for after a certain time in life... for yourself, there is still the chance that 'the change' might actually become your best friend. One of the crazy conundrums is that those who have no trouble most of adult life can have big challenges then (like myself) and others who perhaps had a less smooth central life can find much relief with the meno. Highly individual, of course, but here's hoping!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope so! My mum did not always have the best of times...

      Delete
  2. I take more meds than Sue for a variety of little conditions, such as arthritis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're glad to hear everyone had good check ups recently. Our pawrents are on some meds for a variety of problems too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My ghostwriter knows a few people with endometriosis, and it is not a fun disease! Hope you and your family can stay healthy despite the problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely isn't and it's potentially lethal as well. And when you think your body is just trying to protect itself from itself!

      Delete
  5. Cheers to all three! I suspect Ms. Oswin has completed her meds.
    Sounds like the 3 humans had a wonderful Tuesday.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's wonderful news for all of you. My niece has endometriosis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really a Lucky girl I dont take any pills just because I have nothing ! I was 45 when ménopause started ! Mr.G has 8 pills to take daily dont ask me what !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great news for you and your folks. Good posture seems to be such a challenge especially when driving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to sit up straight, but that seems to be getting harder as I get older!

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!