Wednesday 28 April 2021

If you plant a seed...

...you might get a plant. And in this case I have. Well, the beginnings of plants anyway. As you can see everything has come up. Some after only a few days, others took a bit longer, most notably the dill. But, up it came eventually and now it is just waiting for it all to grow high enough to be repotted. So far only the buckwheat has reached that stage.

What I needed to get everything seeded
As most of these plants can be planted outside in only a short while, I thought I would fast track a bit and instead of 4 buddy sets, I now planted 8 new buddy sets (and one repeat). And they are quite varied again as well. There is  rocket (or arugula) and sage; cucumber and sunflower; courgette (or zucchini) and phacelia (or blue tansy); carrot and chives; snow peas and cornflower; green beans and wild marjoram; loose leaf lettuce and poppy and the last: cherry tomato and agastache.

That little disk grows in front of your eyes when you add water
Some of those had me thinking: oh yes! Love those. Others had me thinking: what on earth? Phacelia was a flower I had never heard of, but my Dad looked it up and it is not native to the Netherlands. In fact, it is native to the Southwest of the USA and Northwest of Mexico! In Dutch the name is also bee bread as it seems to be highly attractive to bees.

The new eight
Out of the total of 24 different plants I have sown, four will not be edible at all: poppy, cornflower, blue tansy and clover. Everything else is edible, be it flowers, leaves, roots, fruit or seeds. Yet they will all play their part in attracting more insects to our garden (my Dad is overjoyed, ahem) and getting some food on the table. 

I have more buddy sets, but they are all repeats of what I have already sown. As there will only be a limited amount of space I can use, I think I will leave it at these (although I might get a few strawberry plants, I love a nice juicy red strawberry) and see how we go. 

6 comments:

  1. Have you ever done this before? It seems like a good something to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Nothing beats watching nature work!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You get quite impatient though: you want it to come up the minute you have sown! Ah well, from the middle of June I should be getting some first results, if the calculations are right!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE A NICE JUICY STRAWBERRY too.
    What a fun activity for this spring
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you're going to have a great garden this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We can't wait to see how your garden grows.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!