Friday 5 February 2021

Did you miss me?

Home is where I hang my hat...
You may have noticed I haven't been around for a while. As I told you in my last post, I was about to go on a short holiday in the Highlands of the Netherlands. Even though they prefer you to stay home, they do allow you to travel to another destination to have a short break there.

And this was that home. The open window was my room.
I took a laptop with me, but when I hooked it up, I couldn't get connected, so I hooked it down again and put it out of the way. I didn't really miss it either. But you want to know about what happened to me and the sights I saw. Well...

We were ready for this holiday!
Not much happened. A h-attack had started on the Thursday before my trip and apart from the Sunday and to a degree the Thursday during my trip, I had to deal with that. There was also quite large amounts of rain coming down on occasion, not making it that attractive to go out and walk.

Find the squirrel
On the Sunday I did though and I did a walk around the holiday home park. Through mud and fields, sloshing my way back to the cottage. It wasn't a long walk by any stretch of the imagination, but I had gone out. 

I knew the headache was coming back (it always does, 2-3 days on the left, 1-2 days off, 2-3 days on the right), so had to change my plans accordingly. So, instead of a walk a day, I would take it easy, hope the h wouldn't get too bad and go on my big walk abroad on Thursday. 

I could have made a fire as well, but thought it was too much work.
It didn't happen that way. On Monday the weather was crappy, the h was manageable, on Tuesday the h was there with a vengeance and stayed until Wednesday. Thursday did see me get out to walk, but I wasn't going to drive somewhere first, I was staying close to home.

Limburg is the province we were in.
Fortunately the weather was nice, so Brom and I decided to see whether we could find the castle that was supposed to be close by. Again I sloshed through wet and muddy fields, found a path I could follow and came to a standstill when I saw I had to walk through a big puddle. 

Carnaval would not be celebrated this year,
but there were plenty of signs this was Carnaval Country!
There was some grass on the verge, right next to the barb wire fence, but even so, after only a few steps, the grass went down and so did my foot. Right into the water. Well, in for a penny, in for a pound as they say, so I sloshed on and by the end, my shoe was nice and clean (ahem).

Aerwinkel Castle
After that the path was fine and I ended up in a small village. From there it was only a short distance to the castle and Brom and I weren't disappointed. Mind you, I say castle, but it was more of an elaborate manor or mansion really. A place that in the right light would look really spooky as well. We were both happy though and made our way back to the cottage.

This used to be a typical house for the area and it was my favourite.
The week was therefore mainly spent watching my DVD's of Eureka (a sci-fi show I loved), crocheting,
eating chocolate (I fulfilled that promise) and enjoying the me-time in a lovely and especially quiet part of the world. I also enjoyed the birds and the squirrels in the garden. 

So, even though I had a headache throughout, I did enjoy my time and it was nice to be able to relax on my own. Definitely something to be done again in the future. Perhaps even in the same place as I really enjoyed it there. 

View from the living area

8 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    The answer to were you missed... YES! But we knew why. Sorry it ws "H" infested, but it does seem you were able to relax and make the most of what was on offer under the circumstances. That 'castle' is not a 100 leagues differenct from some Scottish Baronial piles!!! There would be nothing wrong in returning to that place, as next time it is likely to be in very different weather and -hopefull- health. Glad to have you back. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a place I wouldn't mind returning to. Preferably without the h. This time round it did me the world of good and despite the negatives it was more positive than anything else.

      Delete
  2. Too bad about the weather and the health issue, but it seems that you appreciated your break regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you had to endure a headache during your vacation bit it sound like you made the best of it. What crochet project are you working on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks very nice and cheerful, a pity that you were not in your top shape !But still you made the best out of it. I think I wait until May when it's a bit warmer and if I can I go to Amsterdam, or here somewhere in the Ardennes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you miss me? Sorry I haven't been around. I'm glad you got to get away but so sorry about the h....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely place to get some me time for yourself. Sorry the H has to continue to harass you. Klem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely place to be. Quiet and just for me. I loved it and something similar will be repeated.

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!