Tuesday 16 February 2021

Electric

You know how the company I work for went electric? Well, lately everything has gone electric. Sparks are literally flying.

The low temperatures combined with very dry and sunny weather have meant that there are sparks flying all over the house. Stroking Miss O? Tick tick tick. Putting on or taking off a sweater? Trrrrk. Getting out of bed? You guessed it! Sparks fly!

I asked my Mum whether those sparks could actually light a fire and according to her it was not. However, I am not so sure. There is a spark and that is all that's needed. 

Even if it may not be able to cause a fire, those sparks can cause other things. Like your hair to stand on end (as it's Corona long right now, I think gravity will win that battle). Or what happened the other night.

I woke up at 3.40 am and had to visit a certain place. As I got out of bed, there was a fairly large spark as body, wool blankets, and metal bed combined with dry air. After I had gotten back into bed and looked at the alarm clock, there was no time anymore. Yes, you read that right: the time was gone and instead there was what you can see in the first alarm clock photo. 

Once I was fully functioning again in the morning, I tried to reset it. Take out the plug and remove the back-up batteries. Then everything was plugged and put back in. Immediately the alarm came on and there was no way of stopping it. Plus the display didn't show properly either (see last photo). Out came the batteries, out came the plug. Everything back in and it was first photo time again. Not working.

Electric...

10 comments:

  1. Well that's something to brighten up your day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Actually there are plenty of warnings re static elec and fires - particularly at fuel pumps. Even leaflets about it! I was so static the other night that my touch lamp fizzled - and then decided no more to be a touch lamp, just an on or off at the plug lamp. Sigh... Be careful in the wilds of your home is what I say!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the wilds of our home. I like that expression!
      My dad managed to fix it again (not a clue as to what he did exactly, apart from putting fresh batteries in it).

      Delete
  3. But your phone will keep the time. Unless it's battery has also succumbed or it has been lost in a fire caused by a spark. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you fried your clock! We're lucky that with the new furnace we installed this summer it has a built in humidifier. When we noticed the sparks started flying we turned it on (it's only set to 34%) and there are definitely fewer sparks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss Oswin should be glad her mommy doesn't use that static electricity to magically make balloons stick to her fur! (Blow up a balloon, and rub it on some woolen blankets. It will then cling to almost anything!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of sparks these days. Hubby grew up in his dad's TV shop. Certain items in the 1950 style TV's would build up a huge charge. The devices would put our a sizable shock if touched. He will jump back quick as a cat anytime there is the slightest amount of shock. Seems he was shocked accidentally numerous times by those old TV's and any shock brings back that memory. I just ask him about it and he show me a scar on his hand where he had jerked his hand away from the high voltage discharge and caught it on a piece of metal in the set. Any who, Klem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, no wonder he shies away from it now. I would too. And scary as well.

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!