Friday 29 January 2021

Away

There are times when living with my parents during a lockdown, however great my parents are, just gets to me a bit. And as work is now a bit less due to that very same lockdown, I thought I chance it and get a few days extra off. 

One phone call later and I was the proud 'owner' of a week off. Well, eight days to be exact. And they start today! But, as I said in the first paragraph: living with my parents gets to me a bit. So, I looked around for somewhere to go. 

In the end the choice was between two areas of the country: the Highlands or the Islands. And no, I haven't moved to Scotland! The Highlands are basically the highest parts of the Netherlands, down South, between Germany and Belgium. Have you heard of André Rieu? Well, he is from that area.

The Islands are the complete opposite as they are in the North and located in the 'Waddenzee'. Fresh sea breezes, birds aplenty, perhaps even a seal or two. Plus a ferry to get there. In the end my choice was...

The Highlands! 

And that is where I am going today and I am not coming back until next Friday. By which time I hope to have plenty of stories, plenty of photos and a very relaxed Mara. Brom and Mouse are coming, Miss O is not. She doesn't do traveling.

There will be walking, some sightseeing, a trip to Germany and Belgium (well, one step into either country, max), television, films, chocolate, perhaps some alcohol, a fire in the fire place and plenty more. Oh, and did I mention chocolate?

See you next week!

Photos all taken during my first River Vecht walk

6 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Well, first, I am impressed you are permitted to travel in this way... second... I am so pleased for you that you can travel in this way! I hope it provides all the restoration you seek and lots of photos for us then to peek!!! Stay safe and well. YAM xx
    (who was dismayed at seeing Zwolle mentioned as one of the towns where riots took place...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy.

    I should tell you that I thought that I had discovered a Dutch connection in my ancestry -- my greatx6 grandmother. It turned out that she was a second wife and that my direct ancestor was an earlier wife. Both of those people were Scottish. I have a whole line of Scots, some quite distinguished, in one line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We hope you have a relaxing and fun time on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds great! Hope you have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! And chocolate.

    Klem

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!