Monday 11 January 2021

The state of affairs part 1

With new buses comes a new uniform, even though the dark blue is a remnant of the old one as the new one has still not arrived.

There are a few things I have neglected to tell you about for the past month and I felt it was time to remedy that. Starting with electricity.

I can see you thinking now: electricity? What? Have I touched a live wire and gone doolally? No, but I have gone electric. Well, not me personally of course, but the company I work for. Starting on December 13th, I now drive for the company with the largest electric bus fleet of the world. It will be overtaken I am sure, but for now, we're it!

New routes as well. In the top left you can see an arrow, click on that square and the whole screen is taken over by navigation. Especially handy on new routes.
Going electric has actually been quite nice as far as I am concerned. I have managed to get back to base every time (although once it was touch and go), I have not been freezing my feet off and in general I quite like the new buses, especially the navigational tool for the new routes we have. 

Of course there are always things that don't quite work from the word go. As I said, I have managed to return to base, but some of my colleagues have not been so lucky. Tow truck and service cars followed. 

I had 7,5% left in the 'tank'. Below 5 it would have been dire.

The one thing missing is a radio, which will be installed at a later date. During the Christmas holidays I used my phone to listen to the radio and it ate all my money. It was an expensive outing. The next day I had learned: use the bus' wifi and it worked a treat. The day after not so much and I lost even more money (I am on prepaid). I now use my iPod where I can listen to numbers by David Bowie to Glenn Miller, Sesame Street to Led Zeppelin, Dutch, Portuguese, African, Eurovision and a whole lot more.

As I said I have been okay, others perhaps less so and I think it is only due to the fact that we are now on Corona limiting services that allow the company to iron out the problems easier than it would have been had a full service been running. We will get there though!

8 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    Oh that is excellent to see - though this tech head now wonders what the range is for the new buses and do drivers have to 'top up' during a run and that sort of thing... You look very smart! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the same question asked by my brother, but I wouldn't have a clue. Most buses run for a certain amount of routes before going back to loading. Plus some reload while driving (take your foot off the accelerator and it starts to break which generates electricity), especially the city ones.

      Delete
  2. I do hope they manage to get it all sorted, for I am so happy that they have done this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you said: we will get through! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you will be getting a radio. You certainly don't want to pay for listening to music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All electric. That's excellent news. You look very smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very quiet anyway, which people seem to love, especially when living alongside busy bus routes.

      Delete
  6. We hope you always have enough energy in the tank to make it back to home base.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!