Friday 22 May 2020

Miss Oswin is on the hunt

Miaow

Wow, it has been a long time since I was allowed here. I know Mara sometimes tells you a bit about me, but I think it's very important to make sure I do tell you about the MBF in the WWU myself. Just so you won't forget...

The tree in which they reside we think
look closely and you can see an adult great tit
And today I will tell you all about my hunting skills. Because this week I didn't catch one, but two birds! The first one was a baby great tit (oh, Mara told you about it), but Mara took it from me and after that I wasn't allowed out anymore that day. 

Chittering on the fence
Yesterday I was sitting next to Mara in the garden and there was another great tit just chattering away to us. It was hopping from one end of the fence to the other and back and just chittering and chattering. I didn't move a muscle, although I would have liked to have caught it, I can tell you.

You just fly, I will catch you someday!
Today I was allowed out again because the weather is quite nice right now. And all of a sudden I saw another little birdie. With an almighty jump I caught it and brought it in. Where Mara got hold of me and locked me in the kitchen! And when I came back out the birdie was gone. I will have to catch another one now to play with...

The first great tit
Note from the editor: the first baby great tit was very alert and very determined to get as far away from my hands as possible. As it was fledging anyway, I put it in the garden and crossed my fingers for a safe return to its parents.

It looked really sad in my dad's hand
Alas the second baby great tit was perhaps fledging (as it was on the fence where Miss Oswin caught it), but after being caught it was definitely not alert. It barely moved apart from breathing. My dad put it at the other side of the house near a garden wall, where we hope it will be okay, although Miss Oswin isn't the only feline roaming the streets here and it was in a fairly bad state. 

9 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    ...and I am guessing the adult bird was dancing the fence calling for its offspring... this is one of the difficulties of cat ownership.

    Miss Oswin - you might have to watch your step or Mara will be socially isolating you until fledging time is past!!! Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The adult was chittering on a different day. Although the adult blackbird from last year did clock Miss Oswin the other day and gave out distress calls for a while.

      Delete
  2. Arthur and Pookie were the big bird catchers here. Since they are not here anymore the litle birds are coming back. Rosie is more for mice and brought me one 2 days ago with the heart hanging out ! Yikes ! That's nature there is nothing to do !

    ReplyDelete
  3. We sure hope the bird survives...but know, here too, the circle of life can be harsh, especially with baby birdies...
    xoxo,
    Rosy, Jakey & Arty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I don't like the birdies being hurt but I know it's your natural instinct.
    Great shot of flight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cats are lovely except when they're not!It's hared to reconcile the purring softy on one's lap with the cunning hunter/killer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are lots of baby birdies around here lately too. They're so cute, but so helpless. They grow up pretty fast, and usually if one doesn't make it, there are more coming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miss O. My kitty would bring me baby rabbits and mice. It is just what kitty's do. Your human does not like it though I know you want us to be proud of you. We are proud of you even more if you do not kill the little birdies, rabbits but the mice are great to eliminate. Just do not bring them in the house to play with, okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't so much mind her catching them. It's just that she doesn't eat them, just plays with them. Great fun obviously, but not for the bird in question.

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!