Sunday 17 May 2020

Home made

I have the title, now how to write this post? Well, let's start with the first home made things: the curtains in my room. And yes, they are home made. By my mum, who knows things about sewing. About a week ago my mum and I made our way to the fabric and furnishing shop in town to have a look at what I wanted. After a good rummage, we found a lovely fabric. The only problem was that it could only be sewn in one way in order to have it the right side up. It was nixed.

The next fabric (that the sales assistant sort of led us to) was much better. First of all it was much wider and second of all: it could go every which way without losing the image. Oh, and it was cheaper as well, which is always good. It was a bit of dilemma how much to take though: the sales assistant and I were on the same page, my mum was on another altogether. We went with the sales assistant.

After a few days my mum got to work. First it was the small curtain that doesn't do anything apart from looking pretty. Literally. It doesn't cover the whole of the window, but it looks nice. And it hides the blinds behind it. But then she got to work with the real deal. Did I want it this way or that and how was it going to be fastened (rings). 

But the rings wouldn't work, so bands it was. But some would need velcro so it could be opened when needed. While I was watching Doctor Who, my mum was sewing. And oohing and aahing. Mumbling and grumbling. Until the first curtain was finished. It looked great. We hung it. It looked awful. Adjustments needed to be made. It looked great again. 

The second curtain was easy after that. Much less grumbling for a start. But the result was perfect. Exactly what I had in mind. It may not hold up in the court of professional sewers. I don't care. I love them. And I know who made them. 

7 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    They are fabulous!!! What a difference to a room such fine curtains make &*> The room must be just about complete now - apart from the really personal touches? YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The personal touches are in as well. A few artworks on the wall (two by yours truly) and some knickknacks in the new storage. But the whole room is my personal touch really. I chose the colours and all.

      Delete
  2. Your curtains look great! Well done mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely perfect! I love the material you used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Mara, I love that fabric! Looks great in that area. As a sewing person that invents on the fly, I fully understand the grunts and groans. Second time is usually a bit easier. I know you are enjoying the new setup! peace, janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not professional, but I don't care. My mum made it and if somebody else thinks they are not good enough: let them get the fabric out and start afresh!

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!