Friday 1 May 2020

50 years

Well, the first day of my holiday has started. Which happens to be on my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. A party had been planned for tomorrow, but this Corona mess you know...

So, my holiday didn't start out the way I wanted to. Instead I have had a lie-in until 6.30 am when my alarm went off. Decorating time! Just because Corona is messing up everybody's life, doesn't mean I can't decorate. There were balloons to blow up (the pump took ages), there was a flag to be flown, there were things to be taped to the windows and door frames. 

Filled to overflowing with food and drink
During that time my parents were not allowed out of their room. They had to stay up there, until I called them. Which I could only do after breakfast arrived (courtesy of my brother and his family). I say breakfast: it was a champagne breakfast! 

Yep, my mum and dad on their wedding day
I then called my parents down and they were able to tuck in. By then they had received several telephone calls from people they knew. Although the question was how those people knew about their anniversary. Simple: they read the newspaper and we children had put a notice in. 

The haul so far
Flowers started arriving, as did cards. And unfortunately the rain as well, but we weren't going anywhere anyway... There was cake, phone calls, e-mails, more flowers. My parents sure know a lot of people. 

Flowers from my sister
Fifty years together. It's a shame we can't celebrate like the plan was, but at least they are not forgotten. Everybody made sure of that!

12 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    My word- a bit like birthdays and other similar events. I think - a strange side effect - the distancing thing has enabled these more connected moments! you did good by your folks and I hope that the remainder of the day is filled with joy and networking!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, lots of phone calls and cards came during the day. Not a moment's rest.

      Delete
  2. How great that you were able to surprise your parents with all those cards and calls. Maybe next year you can celebrate for their 51st.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did well in the circumstances. Maybe I'll hire you to do something for my birthday this month although it is not a special one. Certainly nothing like a 50th wedding anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every birthday is a special one! Even the ones with uninspiring numbers...

      Delete
  4. Happy 50th anniversary to your parents!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 50th to you parents. How sweet of you to do this for them. It will certainly be one for the books!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to your parents. That is a real achievement. Also, to you and your siblings on pulling off a celebration for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though only I could be here, we all helped out in some way.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations to your folk, and to you for your important part in the celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We were invited by the major together with other couples big reception, speach and the Waterloo Napoleon soldiers playing for us ! It's a pity that your parent's anniversary falls into the lockdown time ! But it seems you did your best to make a wonderful fest !

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!