Monday 17 February 2020

The joys of crafting

A project on the go (on hold due to it being in storage)
As I have some time on my hands right now, I have really gotten stuck into my knitting. Not that it shows much at the moment, because I chose to make something that was a bit bigger than I normally make. A little dress for a three-month old baby. I found the pattern on a Norwegian site and that meant I had to translate the whole thing into Dutch.

I would read each sentence several times, making sure I had understood before actually attempting to do. Because as every knitter will know: do it wrong and it is double the work to undo it, unlike crochet where there is only 1 stitch.

Unfortunately I didn't have the right size circular needle, so made the whole thing on two needles. I counted, I knitted, I progressed and then put the work aside (as instructed). I then went on to make the sleeves on double pointed needles. Which I did have in the right size. 

This was supposed to become a cushion, but only got as far as this stage
It is now in storage
Those needles definitely were the right size. To stick between my fingers! As in: stick one in the fleshy/webby bit between middle and ring finger. Ouch. A drop of blood was all however, so no big deal. 

At the fair I did manage to get a proper sized circular needle as well and the rest of the dress went smoothly. Not always completely to my liking, but about 99% the way it was supposed to go. The end result looks really pretty, especially from the front. The back does need some work and the next time I will be using my circular needle to make it nicer looking. 

So, apart from the slight discomfort caused by sticking a size 3 knitting needle in my hand, the dress is nearly finished and looks good. 

And talking about little craft accidents: here's an account by Angel Madi's Mom of what NOT to do with a crochet needle. Just in case you were thinking about using it in that manner. 

Have you ever had any mishaps with your crafting?

9 comments:

  1. I can't say I've had any mishaps with crochet since I don't use the tiny hooks needed for thread crochet but I have stuck myself with enough pins and needles while sewing. Thankfully I've never gotten any blood on my work. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing for me, but you make beautiful things ! Can't you sell in the "Etsy" shop online ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    Oh yes, I've stuck myself with all sorts over the years... and stuck myself TO stuff as well. Remember when Superglue was new and we were young and crazy... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think I ever came in contact with superglue. At least, not to that extent...

      Delete
  4. Mara I look forward to seeing the completed cape. Lovely color
    MOL MOL MOL on the shout out.
    I bet the amazing Ms. O would love to snuggle on the yet completed cushion cover. You know I love the colors
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. All us crafters have those unfinished projects awaiting our renewed interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing isn't it. You start and then for some reason you stop and it gets left behind while you start and finish other projects. I do hope to get to it again soon though. Although it may be another two years, the way things are going at the moment...

      Delete
  6. I love that sweater cover up, so cute. I'm glad you are keeping busy. You going to show us that little dress?

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!