Tuesday 4 February 2020

Options on an anniversary

 I am not moving again!!
Yesterday it was exactly one calendar year ago that I arrived back in the Netherlands. Last year it was on a Sunday, this year obviously a Monday. When I arrived back, I had no place to live other than with my parents, no job and little prospects. My head was in turmoil and I was still wondering whether I had made the right decision moving back.

One year on and one thing is for certain: I did make the right decision. Very much so. My recent visit to my sister proved it: lovely to visit, don't want to live there again! One year on and I was doing fine job wise as well: a steady job lined up for this spring/summer and I would be working until then. 

Well, that was last week anyway. Yes, the steady job lined up is still there, but the one until then has had a bit of a change. Before the weekend: not working this week. On Saturday: working this week. On Monday (while working): not working anymore. The news on Saturday had been that the temping agencies had made an agreement with the company. Turns out: only the one who has the most drivers working for them. The agency I work for only has one driver (ie me) and that's it. 

Which in turn meant that I am now unemployed. To a degree anyway as there are options open of course. Continue to work with absolutely no guarantee of getting paid. Change agencies. Go on the dole. Work elsewhere. 

The first option is a no-go. I would be losing money, which is counter-productive. Option 2 is something I am now looking into with everything crossed. The third option is not something I would want to do, but is a viable option. And the last option is a possibility. Albeit with some major strings attached. 

At the moment my commute to work is about 25 km or 45 km depending on where the bus is parked. This is one way. Takes about half an hour. If I were to work elsewhere (temporary), the most local one is not an option as they, quite rightly, don't think it's in their best interest to train me up, only to loose me in a couple of months' time. So, less local. Like Amsterdam or Purmerend. Between 100 and 125 km one way. No chance you do that daily up and down, so it would have to have a stay-over of one or two nights. So, options a-plenty, not sure which one it will turn out to be. 

One thing that has changed since last year is that my mood hasn't been affected as much by all this hullabaloo. It is what it is, I can't do much about it and I just need to go with the flow. If anything, that's a result!

11 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Yay, grabbed the good stuff and it automatically helps to rub away the bad! (Though that is a bummer about the work disappearing...) YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The uncertainty is tough to deal with, but you seem to have a good attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard to deal with the unknown but I am impressed with your attitude!I have the same - we are losing our jobs soon due to a site closure at my company but I am praying for as much time as possible before I have to look for new work. It is what it is. Hang in there and it will all work out the way it is supposed to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew there was plenty of work to be done, it was just a case of getting the right people saying and doing the right thing at the right time and keeping my fingers crossed!

      Delete
  4. Mara bless your heart and thank goodness for wonderful parents...love, food, a roof over your head and of Course Ms.O and Brom
    'It is what it is, I can't do much about it and I just need to go with the flow.'
    I have a quote under my comment box I'll go get it and paste here.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. here is the quote
      “Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” (Leo F. Buscaglia)

      Delete
  5. That last paragraph is a huge step. I know you will make the best decision for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a huge step. Only last October I felt immediately very down when things didn't go as planned/wanted. The new job on the horizon has definitely helped.

      Delete
  6. If you are sure that you want to stay in the Netherlands (for good) I wish you all the best to take the right decision. Sometimes it's difficult when one is in such a situation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad that you are happy you made the right choice in moving back home. Hope a job comes along for you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!