Tuesday 2 April 2019

A bendy one

I used to drive these bendy buses. Not at the same time obviously!
Or a harmonica one. The bus I mean. It bends somewhere in the middle. And yes, I had driven those types of buses in the past as well. Albeit an older model and of a different manufacturer, which means they 'move' differently. But I would have to get used to it, as it was what was used. 

I arrived bright and early on Sunday morning though. Waiting for me was another driver who was going to train me. A new system, only electronic payments and a slightly different route. Plus of course a bus with the steering wheel on the other side to what I have been used to the last couple of months. 

I started driving and I pretty quickly realised: not a problem. A big sigh of relief from me I can tell you. I had been quite worried about it, especially after what I had dealt with in Northern Ireland. But, it all went fine and even though the first couple of runs were still a bit nervy, afterwards it seemed as if I had always driven a Dutch bus (ie steering wheel left and driving on the right).

At the the bus stop in Steenwijk, not in China!!
So, the trip itself then. Mainly (Chinese) tourists going to visit the lovely village of Giethoorn. Also called Dutch Venice as a lot of the village can only be reached by footpaths or waterways. No cars at all! It truly is a delightful village and no wonder that so many tourists have found their way as well. I didn't get to take any photos, because as I said: only footpaths and waterways!

Fortunately the scenery I drive through isn't bad either. The village is located in an area with some lakes and we drive past some of them. Right now there are a lot of geese and the trees are still quite bare, but soon the geese will head further north and the trees and countryside will change to lush green with (hopefully) flowers. 

The upside of the job? I don't have to get out of bed at ridiculous times (like 7 am like this morning) and I don't work late that much either. There are only two late shifts (3.30pm to 9.45pm) and those two happen in the weekend. I will be doing one this coming Sunday. But mainly day shifts, so quite happy with that.

One of the many small boats in Giethoorn (photo from 1999)
The downside of the job? It may get a bit boring after a while, doing the same route between 5 and 8 times a day. But, yesterday I had to explain in French that we were not in Amsterdam anymore! That changes it again as well. In general though: it will be good fun, it will pay the bills and it keeps me off the streets. Or on. You know what I mean!

9 comments:

  1. We're glad to hear your first day on the job went well. Giethoorn sounds like a great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy that the first day was so awesome! See - you got this!!!! Hopefully it will bring you days of meeting new people and watching them enjoy adventures!!! Have fun! Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my stars I cannot even imagine driving a bus much less a bendy one that is longer too. WOW Yay You!!
    I'm glad you are gainfully employed and STAYING off the streets.
    LOL
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a few of those bendy busses in the city. My ghostwriter says she couldn't imagine driving one, or anything bigger than a minivan for that matter. But she says she wouldn't mind visiting some of the places you go to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They use those bendy buses near us fur the airport and they do seem very BIG and a bit unwieldy. Are they really difficult to drive Mara?
    Glad to hear you're settling in so well
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is one thing to be on the streets. Quite different to be running loose on the streets. Good for you and getting back in the groove so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to know you are settling in and are happy. And the steering wheel is now on the correct side.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome....way to go! I'm happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to your new job ! Boredom is over ! Sounds good all in all !

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!