Monday 24 September 2018

They're gone

Well, they left last Thursday already, but since then I have been working non-stop. Apart from today when I had a course. 

So, what happened during their stay? Well, basically not that much. On Sunday we went to a local(ish) car boot sale, although it also sold a lot of cheap new stuff. If I am in the market for a carpet: definitely the place to get them. As for the car boot part: mostly tat, but good fun on occasion.

On Monday I had to go to Coleraine to get the digital tachograph card renewed. Mine was Norwegian and fast running out. Then the lady told me I should have had it done in Norway and they couldn't help me. But after a few more questions, a nice gentleman arrived, took all my paperwork and official papers (licence, passport) off me and returned a couple of minutes later saying all was okay, if I filled out yet another form, paid and he would then process everything that afternoon. It usually takes between two and three weeks to get your new card. Mine arrived within three days. Happy.

During the afternoon we visited Castle Dunluce, a ruin really, but very majestically and imposingly situated on the edge of a cliff. The weather wasn't the best: chilly and windy, but the rain stayed away mostly. Not too bad a day. In the evening we went out to dinner to celebrate my sister's birthday which was the next day.

National school
On Tuesday (ie my sister's birthday) we went to the open air folk museum near Belfast. You may have seen some photos already, as Brom had a not so nice experience there (read more here). But again, the weather was glorious and because it is term time, hardly anybody was there, giving us enough time to watch, chat and take photos. All indoor photos were taken without flash, so they might not always be the best, but that was the only way to take them. 

Rag rug. It was so dark in there, it was only the photo that showed us all the colours in the rug!
Wednesday was spent doing even less. The weather had turned and storm Ali was hitting Northern Ireland with a vengeance: branches and sometimes whole trees blocking the roads. As we hadn't yet been to my sister's place, this was the day to do it. We spent a couple of hours there, went to a lovely shop and in the evening had a farewell dinner at a local Indian restaurant. Nice! 

Inside of the Catholic church
On Thursday my parents were due to leave, but not until well into the afternoon. The day was spent (on my part) doing laundry and before my parents had even left, the guest bed was ready for the next visitor(s)! I took them to the airport in late afternoon, after which I hit the supermarket, stocking up on things that had been used during their stay. 

It was lovely having my parents over. They know now that I am doing fine. Not great yet, but fine, the great will take a while longer. My next visitor is going to be a Dutch friend of mine. However, she had this urge of jumping about on a trampoline for some reason and now has a severe back problem. Her visit might have to be postponed. Physical exercise is so overrated!! 

Dinner at the Indian restaurant
Other things coming up: Cirque du Soleil (my sister won tickets and asked if I wanted to come: duh!) and a visit to a massive craft fair in Dublin. We will probably make a weekend of it as well, staying over in a hotel and enjoying ourselves. 

All photos (apart from the last one) were taken at the Ulster Folk Park near Belfast. 

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice visit and I love the photos. Hope your sister had a nice birthday. Sorry about your friends injury. How nice that your sister won those tickets. Sounds like it is going to be a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    a solid family week and prospects for upcoming fun. All good - apart from prospective visitors breaking wrists and testing spines! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I have a nice guest room on offer and people keep dropping like flies! Ah well, my sister will probably be the next one in line again...

      Delete
  3. What a fun week you had planned for your guests!!!
    Love that massive door knocker
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. For your sake, I hope the paperork is just about done. My goodness what a lot of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you were able to visit with your folks. Not sure of their ages but at mine and Hubby's age that would be plenty of activity!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!