Monday 10 September 2018

Belfast-Glasgow

As I am still working for the coach company, I still make long hours every week. Although some changes have been made: I mainly do the Belfast-Glasgow run. Yes, they are long hours, but hopefully at some point I can get it into a rota of some sort. Or find the other job of course. 

Last Saturday I also had to do that run. When I got to the ferry terminal I already had a lot of luggage on and at the terminal even more people were waiting with luggage. Even though the coach itself was not full, the luggage hold certainly was! Because of all that luggage, I was very late getting to the ferry itself, but we made it eventually and after a little wait, we were able to check in and then drive straight on board. 

Example of the breakfast I usually have on board
On the other side (ie the Scottish side), we were late getting off the ferry, but it went more or less very smoothly once we did get on the way. You know where this is going don't you? 

Yes, if you thought trouble was coming, you were absolutely right. I knew a road was closed, but had hoped it was only during night time: it was not to be! Everybody and their aunt had to get off the dual carriageway and drive through a very busy town. I usually arrive in Glasgow at around 12.15 depending on traffic, but I finally got there at 12.55! I should have been well on my way back to the ferry again!

This is 'my' bay in Glasgow, but we had to use 54 instead as we were so late
Anyway, with the help of some passengers, we got all the luggage off in record time. The passengers themselves had been good and put all the seats back in order and had taken the rubbish out. However, there were other passengers waiting to get back on so we could get back to the ferry. We just chucked the luggage on, everybody boarded and within ten minutes I was on my way again. 

I had already phoned the office saying I would be late, because I knew I had to check in half an hour before the ferry left at 15.30. And that was tight. Very very tight! It takes about two hours to get from Glasgow to the ferry and any trouble underway would ruin it all. Fortunately the road going back was open, so we made good time. 

I had told the office my estimated time of arrival would be between 15.00 and 15.15 and could the ferry operator please keep the check-in open for me. 

My digital tachograph records everything down to the second
I need not have worried! In the end, I got to the check-in at 14.55. With a sigh of relief we got on the ferry. All very pleased of course that we had made it. Even my driving hours were not bad. Yes, I had gotten over the four and a half hours maximum driving, but only by 8 minutes, which can be explained and should not cause any trouble should I get checked up. 

I must admit though: I was glad to get home that evening though. And I certainly hope I won't have many more of those kind of days...

6 comments:

  1. What a day! You had to have been exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari om
    ...and you saw parts of Glasgow you would never have known about otherwise. Older, tireder, wiser!!! Here's hoping for smoother running in future though... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, how can you eat red beans in the morning ??? I always "admired" the English when I saw them eating breakfast in the hotels. Not very healthy !

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!