Monday 3 September 2018

Spinning yarns

As I told you a few weeks ago, I would be going to this Spinning Yarns festival in Antrim and yesterday was the day. My sister and I had booked a workshop as well, so we only had the morning to look around. Which turned out to be plenty time enough! 

One of the first booths we got to was one which sold tweeds and there were some lovely tweeds there as well. Dear though. So, we kept our hands in our pockets and moved on. Then we saw a woman crocheting in a very strange way. Normally you hook the needle under the yarn, this lady however was hooking the yarn over the needle, like I would do with my knitting. 

A short chat before we moved on and then spotted something. Two coasters and a little booklet later we got away. 

Mine was stripey
After that we got into a tent where they did several little workshops. We sat down and made ourselves a little lavender bag. Fast and simple. And since we had enough time and there was plenty of room, we made a felt pen as well. By the time we were finished with the pen, the tent was full of folk and we made our way outside. Lunch. 

At two in the afternoon, we made our way up to the room where we would have our workshop in rag rug wreath making. Apart from my sister and myself, there were two other ladies, so plenty of time for chats and project-photo-sharing. Of course the main aim was to make a rag rug wreath and once we all had the supplies we needed, we started. 

A bit of hessian, a pointy stick and plenty of tweed later and we had all produced a little wreath. Definitely something to do on a dreary night, since mine only took about 2 hours to produce. And you could add bows and ribbons and such to make it even more special!

Now, talking of tweed. During lunch I had realised that I would be sorry not to get any and straight after, we went back and picked some tweed. Not sure if and when I am going to use it. After all, I still have plenty of knitting yarn to keep me busy for years, Christmas fabric for the Christmas bed cover I want to make and some other stuff as well. But, it will keep. As long as manage to keep the moths away from it...

PS: no, I did NOT get any yarn!

13 comments:

  1. hari om
    what fun! will not be commenting much - broke left wrist last night,,, Yxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun! Plans are for Dublin next (a massive craft fair, and according to my sister: really massive with lots of workshops there as well).

      Delete
  2. No Yarn!? Oh well it sure sounds like you two had a fun day together. I love the little yarn bomb stream with all the sea creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you and your sister had a good, fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun time! I like the items you made and the tweed looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those fabric wreaths look great. I can just imagine them with lots of sparkle on for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are and so easy to make as well. Unfortunately the fabric they had during the workshop did not involve any real Christmassy colours, but I thought of sticking a silver cone or something like that in and then you do have something a bit more Christmas.

      Delete
  6. What a fun weekend event!!
    Hi to Ms. Oswin
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. It was fun. It might have been a small fair, but there was enough to do to keep us occupied, resulting in (among other things) the wreath.

      Delete
  8. Klinkt (en ziet eruit) als een heerlijke dag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was het ook. Het was niet echt groot, maar het was wel leuk en voor ons precies goed. We hadden ook mazzel met het weer, dus dat was ook lekker.

      Delete
  9. Nothing for me ! I hate knitting and crocheting and sewing I am a very bad housewife ! lol !

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!