Friday 10 August 2018

Flower Friday

As I made my way through the Antrim Castle Gardens, there were plenty of flowers to enjoy. Some already past their best, others just starting to bloom. And I thought: why not join Flower Friday as hosted by Arty, Jakey and Rosy with all those blooms! 

Most of the gardens were pretty green with trees and grass, but there were several borders with some flowers in them. Of course I don't know the name of most flowers (can name a tulip and a daisy, neither were there), meaning if you want to know more about them: don't ask me!

I do know this one though: lavender! I even ran my hand up one of them to smell. Don't worry: it was one without bee!

Walking around and trying to take nice photos usually involves getting on my knees as well (no photos of that). Fortunately, despite the heavy rain an hour earlier, the ground was pretty dry and I didn't get too dirty!

I loved these. They had a bit of the thistle about them (which reminded me of Yamini), but their bloom had gone. The colour of the stalks was lovely though: grey/blue/purple. 

Another flower that I should really know the name of, but nope. It never came to me. But they are as pretty without the name I can tell you!

These look like my favourite flowers (Sweet William) and might even be, but they weren't exactly the ones I prefer. Very pretty though!

Isn't nature incredible in making perfect round shapes without any bother? I try to do that freehand and I end up with an egg! Which apparently is not a flower!!

My very favourite photo of the day however was this one. The allium family I believe, so not all is lost. I don't usually crop photos, preferring to show as taken, but this one needed a bit, since there was a slight hedge border on the bottom. This one might actually end up being made into one of my 'arty' photos to hang on the wall! 

10 comments:

  1. You sure found lots of beautiful flowers to show us even if you don't know all the names. Mother Nature sure is an amazing artist in both color and shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such gorgeous flowers, we are so happy you joined up with Flower Friday this week!
    xoxo,
    Rosy, Arty & Jakey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mara welcome to Flower Friday and boy did you make a glorious entrance These are gorgeous...I agree about the purrfect round....and the colors...I love your header
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari om
    The 'thistles' are actually teazles. The last one is a fave floer of mine called Agapanthus. Fabby florals fo Friday! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Say it fast and you won't hear the difference (ahem). And the last one has nothing to do with the allium then. Ah well, can't win 'm all! At least I got the lavender bit right...

      Delete
  5. Those are snapdragons. If you pick one bloom, and squeeze it gently at the "throat" it opens up like a dragon's mouth.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRlbQ4_Lx5w

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in love. They are all so beautiful!! I especially like the 5th photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I bet there may have been several nice aromas in that garden. Lovely captures, Mara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually not so much. There were too many trees and grass I guess. Which was a bit of a shame.

      Delete
  8. Yes. The last one is very good, shooting up with the sky as a background. And cropping photos is a good thing since we can seldom get in the right place with the right equipment to get the very best composition.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!