Thursday 23 August 2018

Clippety-clop

It wasn't one of these
The other night as I was lying in bed, trying to sleep, I heard this strange noise. Like an animal in distress. And a large animal at that. It wasn't a sound I had ever heard before and it was quite a strange noise as well. Should I get out of bed and check it out?

In the end I didn't. A tame kitty-cat is one thing, a large unknown wild animal is a completely different one. Then I heard the rustling of a bush, as if the large animal had gone straight through. I heard the clippety-clop of hooves on the road and thought the animal had managed to get him/herself out of trouble. Until the noise started up again. 

Eventually, the second animal ceased its noisiness as well and clippety-clopped away. Well, I say away, I heard it clippety-clopping in the area for quite some time. But fortunately the other noise had stopped and I eventually fell asleep.

But probably more like one of these
Photo taken in Scotland in 2008
When I told my sister about it on Wednesday, she came up with a very plausible explanation. It hadn't been an animal in distress (or several), it is the rutting season for deer! Basically, two deer had either had a tiff, or there had been a bit of loving going on. 

I wish I had opened the window now to have a look...

11 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    I think it is always a privilege to be so close to nature in all its moods and attitudes. Though disturbance of sleep may be less welcome! YAM xx (who is back in Edin but returns to the Hutch tomorrow...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as I know what it is, I don't mind being disturbed in my sleep a bit.

      Delete
  2. Next time you will know to pop up and take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you just never know what new adventures await you in your new surroundings. Deer sex may not have been on your bucket list so guess you can add it so it can be crossed off sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The adventures with Mara and the rutting deer! I can see it now!!!

      Delete
  4. Now you’ll never know. Unless it happens again and you do peek.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! The closest we get to that kind of animal behavior is seeing mourning doves on the clothes line post, or else squirrel mating season (bleah!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only heard noises remember. It might have been something completely different. I hope not, but it might!!

      Delete
  6. The first time I ever heard foxes at night I seriously thought someone was being murdered. Urban life!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Mind you, I haven't heard foxes yet, so that might be another thing to listen out for!

      Delete
  7. Next time you have to check it out!!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!