Monday 1 December 2014

Being cultural

On Friday night a colleague asked me whether I would be working on the weekend. When I replied in the negative, he asked me whether I would like to go cultural in Stavanger. Well, I had never been to Stavanger (apart from the airport), so I thought that might be a good idea. 

On Saturday morning he picked me up at 10am and we made our way to Stavanger. It was quite chilly, but it was dry and pretty good weather so we were happy. Our first port of call was... a shopping center. From there we made our way to the city center where more shops were to be found. He told me about Stavanger (he lived there for a few years) and occasionally we stopped to take a few photos.

But mostly it was a shopping trip. I kept my purse strings mostly closed, but I did get a few things. My concession to 'culture'? A book by Shostakovic. About the work camps up in Siberia and stuff. Oh, and Robin Hood! I think I like culture Norwegian (well, Icelandic really) style!!

8 comments:

  1. Nice excursion apparently even with a tied up wallet !
    I am off to Egypt tomorrow morning ! Enough of rain and cold Belgium !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    Oh well, an outing is an outing... and Shotakovic? The composer? I guess he did write words as well. Something very different!

    I put decorations on my window today. Just the one pane - as a concession to the festives... &*> YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be another Russian then. But it's about the labour camps.

      I have one ornament up (I bought it last week) and am wearing my new Christmas earrings. Other than that, I won't be decorating anything until after December 5th. I just wonder how Miss Oswin is going to react to the tree!

      Delete
    2. ...ah I suspect you are reading SOLZHENITSYN... Gulag Archipeligo? He is one of my faves. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich is also brill.

      I went mad today and ordered a (ready deco'd synthetic) tree... no doubt there will be pictures... Yxx

      Delete
    3. Yep, he's the one: Solzhenitsyn. Both start with an S!

      Delete
  3. Glad you are feeling like making a short cultural trip. Always fun to see new territory. Have a great Week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this territory is certainly worth exploring again. According to my colleague it is a fantastic place year-round!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fun time. Glad you were able to go!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!