Tuesday 7 December 2010

Female Nomad and Friends

Remember that book that I didn't want to review? Well, I better do it now or I will forget about it completely! It was brought to my attention by Miss Footloose, who is a Dutch expat and one of the friends in the title of the book. Now, as you probably know I am not a big fan of short stories, but then again: there were also recipes in the book! Which I love.

The blurb: Rita Golden Geldman, author of Tales of a Female Nomad, celebrates the wonders and joy of cross-cultural connecting with this collection of stories and recipes from more than forty authors. She also includes anecdotes about her own further adventures. Happy reading - and bon appétit, selamat makan, !buen provecho!

Well, I liked it! The stories ranged from meeting people who live around the corner from you, to meeting people in far-away countries. I got little snippets of people's lives and how they trusted people, because sometimes that's the only thing you can do: trust people. The recipes fit with the stories (not every story had a recipe) and there were some recipes I will certainly be trying out, while others were less to my liking. Overall though, the book was a nice addition to my bookcase. Although I am not sure where to put it: short stories or cookbooks?

If you do decide to buy this book (I would recommend it), the proceeds of this book will go to a special project in New Delhi (India) to send high school graduates who live in the slums to vocational schools. None of the authors make a penny from this book.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds most interesting. Recipes included in stories always inspire me - though not usually enough to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a great mystery recently, "The Brutal Telling," by Louise Penny, but I don't think I want to be bothered reviewing it. Maybe I'll yet change my ind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the review. I need to find time to read. Hope your having a great week.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!