- The mara is a mammal in South America, also called the Pampas Hare. It's related to the guinea pig.
- She's a goddess from Latvian mythology.
- Mara means 'hands' in the Aborginal language of Australia.
- The name Naomi took after she suffered the deaths of her husband and two sons (bible). It means bitter(ness).
- A word in Sanskrit and Pali meaning death-bringing or destroying.
- A wraith-like creature in Germanic and particularly Scandinavian folklore, thought to cause nightmares.
- It's an administrative region of Tanzania
- The first name of the actress Mara Wilson who played the lead role in the film Matilda (I named one of my cats after her).
- The last name of John Andrew Mara, a 19th century Canadian politician, rancher and merchant.
- A song by Country Joe and the Fish.
Monday, 20 April 2009
And then of course for some real trivia about Mara.