Monday 1 March 2021

Virtual or real?

Even my photo fitted with the destination. Somewhat anyway...
You could see from yesterday's post, that I have completed the Mt Everest walk. 64,2 km (40 miles) from start to finish. And definitely virtual. There is no way on earth that I am ever ever ever going to walk those 64 km up Mt Everest. EVER!! So, this is the next best thing.

My next walk is the Pyramids of Gizeh (74,6 km). A walk that would be a bit more likely, but only the tiniest bit. As in so slim that you could really say it was unlikely. But hey... 

Very like Nepal, wouldn't you say?
Anyway, as you know I have taken up walking or hiking and doing it virtually as well gives me an added impetus. It gives me somewhere to go, especially during these days where my sister coming for a visit is already difficult, let alone me traveling half way across the world. Fingers crossed it will soon change, but for now, virtual is the best I can get.

Mind you, I still have to get the kilometers done in real life. No point in cheating, as you do pay for the scheme as well: a tree planted every 20% of the route fulfilled and a medal at the end of it. As I only completed last Saturday, the medal is in the post as I write. I hope. 

There are sheep in Ireland too, aren't there?
There are two more walks I have signed up for already (other than the Pyramids): one is The Ring of Kerry in Ireland. I have driven that one several times, so know what to expect, but it will be nice to do the virtual walk as well (200 km). And the other one is the Ring Road Iceland, which is a bit longer (1332.5 km). 

When looking through the extensive list of virtual walks though, there was one that stood out for me. Hadrian's Wall in Northern England. It's the Roman wall built in Roman times (really!) by the Romans and stretches from the Irish Sea to the North Sea. 145 km. Virtual. Or real?

Holtingerveld in Drenthe
My sister has taken up the walking as well over in Northern Ireland and we are now thinking to actually walk Hadrian's Wall next year. The real thing. With the rain and the sun and the real ups and downs of hills and such. And at the same time doing the virtual walk. So, that by the end of it, we actually GET a medal. 

We have already decided we need more hill training, but even our regular flat training should get us to a reasonable standard of fitness. My sister has already found out there are tour companies that arrange everything. There are plenty of museums, stately homes and Roman things to see on the way and we will most likely add a week or two to the walking bit so we can see a bit more.

Training for the sand in Egypt
Our first holiday for 2022 is sorted. Now to just kick Corona's A$$!

All photos taken during a walk in the Holtingerveld with my friend last week.

8 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    These are brilliant incentives, Mara - and yay to Hadrians Wall!!! The Mac Clan has done that walk, half a century ago, before too many of the touristy things were set up. Not that those are bad, on the contrary, they bring it alive. What a lovely thing to look forward to. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done you! We want to visit several of the touristy things just to clarify and explain things to us. We just hope it won't be too busy!

      Delete
  2. Mara Well done and might I continue to add how very proud I am of you and your determination and ambition...walking during these crazy times is excellent for mind, body and soul. And you have vacay plans for 2022...
    Hugs Cecilia
    PS the Irish cows are adroable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Virtual walks, Who knew? Well you did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those virtual walks sound like a great way to get you out and about. We have our paws crossed that you can take that vacation with your sister in 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you do these virtual walks ? I have walked a bit in real were you walked virtually, but for the Pyramides I took a camel (for the sunset) very romantic !
    Can you sister come ? I thought the borders are closed in Belgium yes and what I hear from my son in Holland too !

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got some very lofty goals ahead. I'm sure you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I'm impressed! I'm not sure how you do the virtual thing but it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!