Saturday 13 March 2021

Developments

There have been some developments in my life recently. The first one and one that I had eagerly anticipated was the opening of the archive concerning that young gentleman that died in Burma (now Myanmar) on the infamous railway line. That led me to ask a question on a genealogy forum which led to a question back which led to severe searching. I still don't think I have it all sorted, but mostly. 

The things in the archive however, did not relate to the camps he was in (only very slightly anyway), but were mainly personal letters written and other assorted correspondence. It gave a small insight in life in the Dutch East Indies just before the war and how they looked at the threat of war in Europe. It also made me review the piece I had written about him originally and I have now rewritten most of it, going from two pages to almost 25. Including his letters and all the other information I have now. And I am not quite finished yet.

I wonder how many rooms this home has...
Another development concerns a home for me. I have been looking into buying, but unless I want to buy a barn without any facilities whatsoever... So, buying is out of the question. I have been registering for every rental home available, but even though the waiting list is moving forward, it is slower than molasses up a thin pipe. So, I had a plan and I thought it was a doozy.

The plan was basically: I would win the lottery! Easy, right? I bought a ticket and waited in antici... pation (sorry, Rocky Horror connection here), but when the time came, I had not won anything. The doozy had bombed. Ah well, I have a roof over my head so not all is lost.

In Rome in 2019
Yet a further development and this concerns the whole family. As you may be aware off (unless you have been living on a rock, on Titan!), a certain little round thingy with spiky ends is doing the rounds around the world. Very annoyingly I hasten to add, as it is interfering with just about everything. Like travel.

Last year, my sister was due to come in May for both my parents' 50th wedding anniversary and Eurovision. My parents didn't celebrate with a party as nobody was allowed to come anyway and Eurovision was cancelled. Unfortunately, so was my sister's flight. No worries though, she would come in July, at Christmas, for Easter, in May this year. Until the flight was cancelled yet again. Hopefully she will now be able to come in July. 

Concerning that big C that is bothersome to the gazillionth degree: my father should be the first one to be called up for his first vaccination. My mother after that and wait for it and wait a bit longer, then me. But, so far: nothing. Ah well, it will all happen. My sister will come to see us, we will get vaccinated, I will find a home and the story about my step cousin once removed will find more closure. 

7 comments:

  1. A few countries like the USA are inoculating rapidly. It is much slower in Canada. I think it will take until the fall to get it pretty well done. If you are like us, maybe you can see your sister then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our first small step towards freedom happened this week when the children returned to school. Vaccinations are progressing well here and it's fingers crossed that the next stage can happen in mid April when some shops will be able to open including hairdressers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    Hoorah for the cousin, at least... bah humbug to The Bug. Sigh... My younger sister (London base) got her first dose on Monday - it took till the fifth day for her to start feeling normal again. It really knocked her sideways. Mac1 had hers and had five days of fatigue and fevers after the second dose. And the bally thing might only be valid for a max of twelve months... sigh again... but if it brings your family together, let it roll!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice that you found more information about your relative. I too haven't won the lottery lately even though I play it almost weekly. As they say, "You have to be in it to win it." My husband and I got our first shots about a week and a half ago and have that same amount of time until our second dose. Then just 2 weeks to feel safer but still cautious since there are still plenty of people that still need their shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been over a year since that virus menace started and everyone is so fed up with having all their plane ruined and not seeing their families! Hopefully things will start to get better real soon! Good luck with your home search. Houses here are selling like crazy since the interest rates are so low. But the prices are through the roof!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do wish you all the best. We had our first and go on the 23rd for our second one. So sorry about your sister not being able to visit. Things will hopefully get back to normal at some point. So being a bus driver doesn't get you the vaccine?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adventures to come. . . some day! Shot due comes tomorrow. klem

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!