Monday 29 March 2021

The weather

Real choppy water
Last Saturday I went for a walk. I had checked the weather app I have and it told me that it would be fine. Ish anyway. So, I made my way to the small village where I would start from and started walking. And it was fine. Until the rain came down, and the hail. But, no worries: it stopped again after only a few minutes. 

You must be mad, walking outside!
Better stay in a nice warm barn like me...
This pattern of rain/hail and fine weather continued throughout my walk. Which lasted over two hours. But that was not the end of it. Because there was also wind. A lot of wind. In fact, so much wind that on occasion I had difficulty staying on the road or path or dyke (I had all three versions). 

I took plenty of sky photos on Saturday.
This was what it looked like most.
On Sunday I had planned to go out again, but the walk on Saturday had left me feeling utterly drained and tired. Nothing to do with the distance really (9,5 km), but all to do with that wind. 

Blue skies. Aaaaahhhh
Then came Monday. The weather was glorious, my legs felt fine, I felt fine, my hair had been cut nice and short again (I know, not really the point, but I thought I would mention it anyway). Where to go though? Stay in the area? Go somewhere different? 

That church was my starting point. This was 3 km away.

Just out of curiosity I asked my parents how far it was to a small village I had seen signposted at work. My Dad immediately got out his phone and tried to find the answer. 18 km. Too much for me. Hold on, that's by car going the long way round. It's only 8.5 km. Well....

Northern Lapwing (kievit): a sign spring is definitely here.
My Dad drove me to the village and dropped me off. The only thing I had to do then was walk home. Which I did. All 9,5 km, as I did a little tour around the church first and had slight deviations on the 'real' route. 

Right now I am tired. My legs feel tired. My head feels tired. Some of it to do with the wind (albeit not as fierce as on Saturday), most of it to do with the glorious sunshine. Blue skies, summery temperature, short sleeves. Brilliant!

11 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Oh yes, wind is the worst to contend with when out and about... but oh my - I saw there were such temperatures even down south of here... meanwhile, by the Hutch, it has been gales, lashings and near zero!!! Promise of warmer the next couple of days. We'll see... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found wind to be one of the more tiring elements. Rain, hail, snow not so much. But wind...

      Delete
  2. Long walks are good for the soul but being out in a hail storm isn't so fun. Glad the second walk was under blue skies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are being very consistent. Those were pretty lengthy walks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't walk that much without sitting down and have a drink ! After cold and rainy weather since two days we are almost in summer ! Yesterday 22° and today even more. For the first time a friend and I sat on the Balcony and admired the trees and birds, everthing is getting green.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are really doing a great job of walking. Good for you. Sorry about the rain and hail. Enjoyed your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've had a lot of windy, changeable weather here in WNY too. 70ºF one day, expecting snow the next. Congratulations on your walking fitness program!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds delightful. The school photo would be perfect for MMT's Blue Monday/Ruby Tuesday meme. Bunny Mouse is my only Easter decoration this year. So cute. Klem

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like wet in the forecast. klem

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a handsome rooster and I love the school sign
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS meant to say our wind was so blustery this morning it blew our newspaper over into yard across from our driveway...admittedly the news of late has been the kind that is best blown astray.
    LOL

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!