Tuesday 16 March 2021

The new favourite

The walks continued over this past weekend. On Friday I got out and did a local one. After only a short distance I realised the app wasn't recording any of it and every time I tried, I failed. I continued on the walk anyway and used the Health bit on my phone to see the final distance. Once home I deleted the app and reinstalled it, so I could use it on Saturday for the exact same walk.

Spot the hare
Well, it might have been the exact same walk, but the second time around it was not nearly as many kilometers. Less dithering obviously, but still: over half a kilometer? On Sunday I did some of the same walk and then extended it to include most of the areas of our suburb. In order (Fri-Sat-Sun), I walked 5,8-5,1-7,6 kilometers. Would I be able to do a longer distance on Monday as well?

Spot the four deer (number five is behind the branches already)
The only way to find out was to actually do it. I had found a walk a while ago already, but at the time thought it was too long for me. But now I am able to do longer distances without too much bother, I thought I would give it a go. And they only forecast a few drops here and there...

'Castle' Eerde, now an international school
The forecast was for where I live, not the place I was going, so once there, I got wet. Yes, I had my rain suit with me, but couldn't be bothered to put it on. My thin windbreaker jacket would have to be enough. Fortunately it was mostly showers, but it was a bit disheartening for the first bit. I did continue after my first smaller lap and in the end was glad to have done so as the surroundings were beautiful.

I could imagine this view 200 years ago, with the farm nearly invisible then too
The grounds of the main house were more or less as they would have been in centuries gone past. Smaller pastures, wooded areas, brooks. I thought some of the pastures might be higher because of man (better drainage?). By then the sun was coming out more and more as well and I got some stunning views. 

Do I prefer this photo?
As it was a Monday, there were barely any people about. Yes, on the smaller lap I did see several, but on the large lap: not a soul until I was almost done. For once I did catch some wildlife though. The hare and the five deer on the small lap around the house, the one deer on the large lap through the countryside. 

Or this one? Not sure, what do you think?
Of course, all the trees are still in winter mode, so this is definitely a walk to be done again once spring has sprung. And by then I can see whether the second time around it is still 9,9 km or whether that one as well be shorter!

All farmhouses that belong to the Castle have the same coloured shutters.

A solitary deer, perhaps the rest was hiding in the woods?

I started at N30, went anti-clockwise on the red route,
then the green route to the other red route (N58),
which I also followed anti-clockwise.
Then back to N30 and to my car.


8 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    I am thinking this geo-stationary gadgetry thingo may not be pinpoint accurate - no matter, the walks were fun either way!!! Of the piccie of the trees - they both have merit, showing the shifting mood of the weather...although if looking at them purely photographerly-like, the first of the two has greater appeal due to contrast and colour saturation. What the heck -they are all good and fun shots (yes I could see the hare even without biggifying!) and I again commend you on sticking to your walking discipline!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure have lots of pretty buildings and wildlife to look at on your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I best like the "Do I prefer?" photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing very well with upping your mileage. The scenery is lovely and I like the lighting in the first of those two photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing all of your lovely pictures. Makes us feel like we're right there too. I saw a whole herd of deer last night on my way home from work. Glad they didn't jump in front of the car!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mara you have been logging the miles on foot and the internet.
    Fingers crossed all your family is vaccinated soon. We have had both our Pfizers. Our daughter and SIL have had their first Moderna. Then after the 2nd on April 6 I hope we can see them FINALLY by late April
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful photos. I'm so proud of you walking so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such wonderful paths to walk with interesting sights! As for the two photos, what do you wish to convey? One seems a bit more hopeful/bright while two carries a feeling of bleakness. Both have a time and a place. klem

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!