Saturday 2 September 2017

Taking over from Brom

Thank you Brom (and Mouse) for being such lovely travel companions! And Brom for writing such lovely blogs (although Gera is not entirely sure about the chair situation). 

I knew beforehand that traveling to the Netherlands in Cookie Jar Car would be a challenge. It's only a little car after all. But she held herself beautifully. She may be small, but she could hold her own, I can tell you. The cabin I had on the way out was quite a big one (and expensive at that), but it was the only one they had left when I booked. As Brom told you, I didn't sleep too well, but that is par for the course really. I have never slept well on a moving boat. In fact, the sentence 'sleeping on a ferry' is a contradiction in terms for me. 

The road to my parents was long. Very long. It was seemingly endless! And straight and flat. The last two were good things, otherwise Cookie would have been in a bit of trouble I guess, since she is quite power-challenged. As it was though: no problem. The maximum speed in Denmark and the Netherlands is 130 km/hour, but I kept her to 120 max and that worked fine. In Germany there is no speed limit unless there are signs, but there again I kept her to 120 max. 

When I finally arrived at my parents', we had been going for close to 11 hours and we were fed up. I had taken the key (for once), but once again: they had changed the lock (they had done that after our road trip last year as well). Fortunately my mother was in the garden and I was able to get in that way. Neither my father (at work) nor my sister (still traveling) were home yet. And my parents hadn't expected me yet anyway!

The hit came two days later on Sunday: the dreaded H. It lasted for three days, out of which the last day was the worst and the best (it finally left). The temperature wasn't helping much either: high twenties every single day. Especially on Tuesday (when we were supposed to go to the zoo) it was sweltering. We decided against the zoo. Even Brom and Mouse agreed!

They did have good chairs as well
My sister left early Wednesday morning with a heavy suitcase and a smaller borrowed one: she had too many heavy things and had to leave some out! That afternoon two of my friends were due to come over and we were going out for dinner. A lovely time we had. Of course no photos of that were taken, neither of the food (Chinese) nor of us (Dutch). But believe me: it was a good time. 

Then after they left on Wednesday, we had to load up Cookie. Would it all fit? I had an extra two crates and three large bags and honestly? I had room to spare! Not much I grant you, but still. Mind you, when I was halfway home, I realised I had forgotten the 'borrelnootjes' (peanuts with a crunchy coating, YUM) and they would have taken up some of the room to spare. But it wasn't to be. 

Waiting to check in on my way home
I left early the next day. My original plan was to leave at 7.30, which was changed to 7 and in the end I left at 6.38am. And as Brom said: cruising along! But, I had rather that than seeing the tail lights of the ferry! Not only the traffic was better, so was the weather: it was drizzle and light rain (occasionally a bit heavier) nearly all the way. So, it wasn't as hot and blergh in the car. I ate more as well, although still no wine gums!

I didn't get bored, I had this little fellow to finish
My night on the ferry was a lot better. I went to bed ridiculously early, since I had to get up ridiculously early in order to eat my breakfast in peace. And I slept really well, no waking up every half hour, no being awake for two hours on the trot. Just good sleep. I finally made it home around a quarter to nine in the morning. And on Monday it's back to work!

12 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    So I guess the meds didn't do their work on the big H... tsk. Am so glad you got a good rest on the ferry though. S028 ("Stayt"?) looks right at home in the driver's seat &*> YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have two different types of meds and the ones I have to take for an ordinary headache don't seem to work. I just have to keep quiet and relax my shoulders/neck. Using cold cloths on head and neck also seem to work.

      Delete
  2. You are already back ? I thought you would stay longer or it seems to me that time is going by so fast ! Apparently your little car behaved good ! These little things are sometimes better than big once ! I drive with my Toyota Yaris everywhere ! My son is back from Bali and they loved it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMCs we had no idea you were posting from on the road and afterwards. We are caught up I think. The ferry rooms are quite nice. I had no idea what to expect. I hope either Brom of Mouse finally gave up a bed for you
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear your little car did well, so sorry ro hear about the H tho... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ghostwriter remembers driving in the Austrian alps with her Uncle Dietmar in an old Citroen Ente. It really struggled to go up the mountains!

    We're glad you had a good visit with your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, a proper Ente? I never ever sat in one, but a neighbour used to have one and it looked quite ramshackle really. But then again, as long as it goes up...

      Delete
    2. Hari OM
      Oh that takes me back to a journey made along the narrow, winding and very hilliy sheeptracks of NW Scotland in a 2CV (Ente) and the solonoid kept giving out, so we would have to jump out and open the hood, then clatter it with a hammer to jump-start it in order to make a run at the next hill!!! character cars... Yxx

      Delete
    3. I love character cars, but I felt that for safety reasons Cookie was the better bet!

      Delete
  6. Sorry you ended up with the dreaded H. Not fair after driving so long to spend time with your family. Glad your mom was in the backyard! Enjoy all of your goodies. Glad you made it home safely and had a night out with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dreaded H. Glad you did get past it and able to enjoy some of your time home. Hope your mom is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mum is doing great. Still recovering to a degree, but clear from cancer.

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!