Friday 26 February 2016

Oma's Mickey Mouse

My maternal grandparents
My grandmother was of a generation where empty hands meant idle hands. I never saw her without a needle or two in her hand. She was always doing embroidery, crocheting doilies and bed spreads and knitting mice. And most of what she created ended up in local bazaars making money for charities, especially the Red Cross. 

My sister's mouse
She would always boast about how many mice she had knitted. I think by the time she died, it was over 1000. Big and small and all of them made with leftover wool. Yarn she got from everywhere. Which meant that no two mice were ever the same. She gave them away as well. I got a small and a big one, as did my siblings and even friends got one. But, I grew up and thought it was a bit daft and old-fashioned so mine ended up in the bin most likely. 

After she had gone however I was sorry I had gotten rid of them and wanted to make my own. After all, I could knit! But, I needed a pattern and my grandmother made them from memory, having made so many of them. Her pattern had long since been lost. 

My version
Help was at hand though: my sister still had a small one. And a big one she claimed was mine, which is now sitting in my bedroom. The only thing to do was count. But that was virtually impossible. The mouse was old, it was quite deteriorated and even after 'fixing' it, it still was no good. Back to square one it was. 

But then there was my old school friend. She had at one point owned a Mickey as well and sort of knew what I was looking for. And where I had never succeeded, she did! I got the link, I printed it out and off I went. And it started looking more and more like the one my grandmother had made. 

The two of them together, mine is on the left
The end result is good. There are still some adjustments to be made (shorter arms, longer and thinner legs, slightly different feet, stumpier head), others have already been implemented. I am definitely pleased with the result!

A mouse on the box. Was it fate?
I am most pleased with the tail though. My grandmother used a French Knitting bobbin for all of her tails and I was allowed to borrow it from my uncle after she had passed away. I have just never given it back (could you please not tell my parents?).

13 comments:

  1. What a shame to throw your grandma's mouse away, lol ! And now you walk in her steps ! Oswin will be delighted to have so many mice at her disposal !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful story and a great way to keep your grandmother's tradition alive!

    If only we could realize in our youth all the things that will be important to us later in life, there is so much knowledge etc. that we would capture. You were so fortunate to be able to capture this great tradition. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very happy in finding the pattern, thanks to my old schoolfriend. And I am very pleased to be able to make more mice to populate the world!

      Delete
  3. Yours looks authentic. Grandma would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh... you know you could have a cottage industry on your paws before long?!!! When do we get to see the Mara-Mickey??? YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh Anvilclouds' comment came up same time as mine and now I think I may have got confused - those piccies ARE Mara-versions, or they are the Grandma-versions your sissy had kept??? Yx

      Delete
    2. The slightly smaller one is owned by my sister and made by my grandmother. The bigger one will be owned by my sister, but is made by yours truly.

      Delete
    3. ...got it! They are delightful! Yxx

      Delete
  5. What adorable creations. All of the grandchildern in my family learned to never say 'we don't have anything to do'!
    My Annie Ma (that is what we called my Mom's mom) would give us something to do lickety split
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your grandmother would be so proud of you. Your mouse is excellent! Really cute.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your talents abound. I used to love french knitting when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful piece of the past. So pleased you have been able to recreate 'the mouse.' So is the mouse # 1 for you with only 999 to go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More or less. I do want to make lots more. I have the yarn for it anyway: enough to make at least 250 I would say!

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!