Monday 1 February 2016

...and that's the answer 4

Now for those of you who read my blog regularly, you might have noticed a little oversight in the past few weeks. On my 'ask me anything' post I had received seven comments, six of those were questions. I answered them in chronological order as they came in. 1, 2, 3, 5, 6. Number 4, the question by Anvilcloud was missing. 

He was sneaky. He didn't just ask me one thing. He managed in his one comment to ask me two/three things. Related, yet seperate questions. Questions that needed some serious thinking about before I could give an answer. Because they didn't deal with the weather or my dinner, but with something completely different. Something deeper. So, without further ado, here is his first question: On a scale of 1-10, how happy are you with your decision to move to Norway? 

I knew before coming that life in Norway would be different from the Netherlands, even if the lifestyles of those two countries are very similar. Or so I was told. Some things are definitely better. The area in which I drive every day has so many beautiful spots and views that I am always amazed by it. Of course I lucked out on finding the amazing place where I live in this beautiful spot. Quiet, peaceful, beautiful. Something I would not get back in the Netherlands. A 9,5 for that. 

Some things are not so good. Although they could be different if I were to choose so. The job, even though the views and the routes are lovely, can be really boring. In my heart I am a coach driver. Driving a group around for a week, showing them lovely sights. Not that stopping every. single. stop. to let somebody get off or get on! I could of course get back to touring. It would mean less pay and getting back to working all hours of the day. I do not want to go back to that, however much I love that job.  A 6 for the job.

Some things are more or less the same. Yes, everything might cost more over here, but I earn more as well. I don't starve, I don't have to count my pennies (or øres) and when I want to buy something I can. The health service is comparable and so is the red tape. Love it or loathe it, it's what it is. A 7,5. Which means that the average would be 7.6. Average!

Anvilcloud's second question can be seen as one or two. I took it as two. Here it is: Do you envisage staying forever or someday returning to The Netherlands? 

The answer to the first part would be no. Not because I don't like it here (I do), but financially. I have built up some pension in the Netherlands and some here in Norway. Once I retire those two pensions will be put together. However, the Dutch pension will not be adjusted to Norwegian living costs, meaning I would have less to live on. And with the higher living costs here, that would mean I could probably not afford it, meaning I would have to move to a place where I could afford to live. 

The answer to the second part would be no as well. If I were to move anywhere, it would be to Scotland or Northern Ireland. Closer to my sister. Get a place and be disgraceful together! That is however far in the future and you never know what life throws at you!

I hope I was able to answer everybody's questions in a satisfactory manner. And if you have any more...

12 comments:

  1. Ohhhh what great and thorough answers. You did a very thorough job on each.
    Norway is a beautiful country and your photos are very complimentary.
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done a lot of thinking over the last few weeks. Great answers.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It nearly did my head in all that thinking!

      Delete
  3. PS I meant to tell you we are putting your calendar on our sidebar. It will stay there all month
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    You did good, shaking the numbers around! It's good to have a review like this, heh na? Helps the perspective a bit. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't meant to happen, but I found it the hardest question, even harder than the 'three words to describe myself' one!

      The perspective is certainly helped a lot by writing things down and thinking about them on occasion.

      Delete
  5. WE guess that there are always PROs and CONs to moving to a new location... it sounds as though you have more PROs now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very seldom that you get a job which is 100 % perfect ! Good idea to move to Scotland or Ireland, I would have loved that too. But we can't complain about our living here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How interesting! Our pawrents went to Amsterdam one time. Maybe they went past you?

    Keep Calm & Bark On!

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that was a pretty positive and thorough review. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting questions. I enjoyed reading your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on all the answers. Always enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!