Monday 24 March 2014

The water saga

Imagine the damage this could do!
After I did my shopping after work today I drove home. It was early in the afternoon because once every six weeks I actually finish before midday! Shortly after I got home there was a knock on the door. The insurance man. The people-in-the know (otherwise known as landlord and -lady) had phoned them two weeks ago about the flood and leak. 

He checked the bathroom (fortunately no ruined things there: the insurance wouldn't cover that) and the kitchen and was quite disappointed when his wetness meter gadget didn't register anything. So, for a treat I took him down to the basement. Where his wetness meter gadget went absolutely berserk! Well, the insurance man was glad he got some readings!

The ceiling in the basement was still damp and it now included some mould as well, which hadn't been there two weeks ago. And then all of a sudden, there was another knock on the door and before I had a chance of going up and answering it, we heard footsteps and somebody came down the stairs. It was the man-in-the-know. Which was a good thing, since the insurance man was about to ask some questions about how it was all going to be paid. 

So, tomorrow, or the day after, the ceiling in the basement will come down. There will be some fans installed to dry the insulation and if necessary it will be replaced before the boards will be replaced as well. In about a week or so. 

The saga continues...

5 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    ...hmmm wonder if cavity insulation for the gaps in doors and walls can be arranged as well??!!! At least SOMEthing is being done. Could be a silver lining. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least they are following through and it will all get fixed!
    It is never fun when things need to be repaired.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not the sort of saga I enjoy, but am looking forward to the final stages of the saga.
    Meanwhile, we're away this afternoon and back the end of last week. Don't worry if I seem to be somewhat incommunicado. One of Dick's far-flung adventures, can't remember if I told you.
    Luv, K

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you are getting that taken care of. My friend had a leak like that, which turned into mold and her family became quite ill from it.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!