Tuesday 19 September 2017

Busy busy busy

Aged 2/3
Well, I would have been. Had I not called in sick. Again. I would have been driving hither and thither, but instead I am at home. Doing a bit of knitting and trying to stay out of trouble. 

As for the reasons behind the latest attack? Well, I do think that I finally do know where they come from. After thinking back when the headaches really started to bother me (around 1993 first of all and then 1999 the second wave), I think I may have pinpointed the problem.

Hot chocolate, not coffee
I don't remember that many headaches growing up. Yes, there were a few bad ones that I do remember, but if I had to call in sick to school twice, it was a lot. At least I can't remember any different. I worked in Yugoslavia and again: no problems. Brussels, followed by Sicily and then the French Alps? Nothing! Then I moved to England. The first few months were okay, but then I started getting trouble. A lot of trouble. 

Around 1993
Which I contributed (and probably quite rightly) to the coffee. I moved back home in 1994, cut out the coffee and the headaches disappeared more or less. Leaving only the occasional migraine attack. I worked in a biscuit factory packing biscuits: nothing. I worked on the train, selling coffee, tea and snacks: nothing. I got my driver's licence for bus, I moved, I started work and then a few months later the headaches started. Never to go away again.

See a pattern? Because I certainly do and over the last few months I have felt it as well. After a week's work I can feel my shoulders, back and neck. Which then creeps up to my head. I try to combat with heat pads on my shoulders and back, cold cloths on my head, but to no avail. The headache will come. The pills don't work and even though I will take some, I don't take the amount I used to in the past. 

A bit of rest
The solution? Well, massages, physiotherapy and such would help, but they would only combat a problem. It might be better to actually get rid of the problem. Ie: not get the shoulders, back and neck to tense up in the first place. Which can be achieved I think. Easily as well. It would just involve me finding another job!

12 comments:

  1. Oh dear me...that is quite a quandary you have going on with the headaches and the cause. I sure do hope you can find a solution. Have your tried acupuncture? I found it to be very helpful ridding me of a constant neck ache...after I realized my problem was being caused my shoulder pocketbook. I immediately switched to a backsack style pocket book or one with a long enough strap I could cross it over my body. If I sit at the computer to long I can feet tingles but that is when I get up from the computer.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ghostwriter remembers getting migraines as far back as when she was a kid. But now when she starts to feel a crick in her neck, she goes to see the chiropractor. Works every time! She has a special neck pillow for sleeping too.

    We hope you feel better soon. Migraines can be truly awful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my problem though: I don't feel the crick in the neck. I know that's where the problem comes from, but I don't feel it until it's too late.

      Delete
  3. Yes, the job may be the culprit - stress!

    Yo-ho-ho! Yer Pirate Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's stress necessarily. More the position in which I (have to) sit to do my job. Not all seats are equally good...

      Delete
  4. Hari OM
    Yup, tension will do it. Relieve the tension, remove the agony. Cast your eye around. Make no sudden moves... if you like the bus company, is there a different position within it which would serve purpose? All possibilities are yours! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Brom just kicked me in the back to pass on his Love and huggies that you feel better tomorrow. xxx

      Delete
    2. I do feel better already and tomorrow I will be back at work. Thank you Brom!

      Delete
  5. It looks like you've figured out hos they began. Hopefully, you can learn to unravel the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had wondered if possibly the driving and the position you have to sit was making the problem worse. And now the next step ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to sit up straight and not slouch, but it's not good. But finding out what my next step will be is a different matter altogether!

      Delete
  7. Oh my, a new job!! What would you be looking for? That would be a big change for you. Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!