Monday 7 December 2020

Walking and stuff (mostly stuff though)

As I wrote in my last post, I have been walking quite a bit. Going to wooded areas and getting filthy in the process, walking on proper paths and staying reasonably clean. Last Sunday I did another one. It was in the area and about the same distance as the other walks I had done: about 5,5 km. No problem. 

However, I didn't start walking at the start point, I started at home, which was about 1,5 km from the start point. Which meant that when I was finished, I had to walk back as well. In total I did just over 8 km that day. 

It was too much. Literally too much. Yes, my condition was fine and I was able to keep the speed up, even at the last bit. However, my left knee said it was too much and started protesting when I was nearing home. Then having to work in the evening and having that knee bent in the same position for the rest of the night, didn't really do much for it either.

The upshot of it was, that my knee hurt. Really hurt. And it needed rest. Which meant no walking for the rest of the week. I would start again at the weekend when I was off.

Come the weekend, I was still not going out for a walk. On Friday the headache started and by Saturday morning I knew it was a migraine. Take meds, stay calm, take more meds, feel nauseated (I wasn't sick) and still overdoing it that day by making a cake.

On Sunday I again had to take meds. Early in the morning and then later on in the afternoon. The last one finally did the trick as well. Yes, some headache came back later on and no, today I am still not feeling my best, although the nausea has passed. I called in sick for today, but will be back at work tomorrow. 

Mind you, the headache days are fewer and farther in between now. I started a headache diary July last year and so far there is a decided difference between now and when I started. Which is good. I can combat a lot more now by not using pills but heat packs in my neck. And periods of 10-14 days clear are more common.

But, the migraines will still come every so often, despite the preventative medication. Fortunately this time it wasn't as bad as the last time (meds too late, spontaneous vomiting), but it is still part of my life. 

An aunt said that her migraines had disappeared when she had been through menopause, but I don't even know whether I am in or already out. I will only find out next year when I stop with the pill which I have to take for my endometriosis.

One more thing I want to tell you today: as of this morning I have lost 9,9 kilograms (22 pounds). I am very pleased about that as it shows that I am doing something right. A few weeks ago I moved from morbidly obese into the 'just' obese range, which was a start. There are a fair few kg's (about 20 or so) to lose before I am supposedly at my ideal weight, but I prefer to go slow and steady.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the weight loss, but too bad about the headaches. That they are getting a little less severe is positive,however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    yuk, sorry the headaches are still hanging about; it is to be hoped that they do indeed 'die with meno'! Well done on the weight drop though ... indeed it is slow and steady that wins it best. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very nice that you lost 9 kgs !! Walking is good but too much is to much in German they say Sport ist Mord !That would fit on me ! You should go to a gyncoloogist and have checked your hormon levels she can tell you if you have your menopause or not, I was very early 45 !! The (male) Dr said I was too young ! I went to a woman and she confirmed ! Ever since I only go to female doctors ! They understand female problems better !

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well but it's good that you aren't getting migraines as bad. Congrats on the weight loss and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh Mara I'm so sorry the headaches have returned. Per chance are you bothered by extreme cold. Sometimes that will give me a headache especially if there is a whipping wind.
    CLAPPING WILDLY FOR YOUR MISSING 22 lbs!!! I'm very proud of you
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, that walk was definitely too much. So sorry about the knee and the migraine. Way to go on losing the weight. I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!