Wednesday 8 May 2019

Fun

I decided before I had even moved properly, that I would continue to do fun things like going to the theater and to the cinema. Money permitting obviously. And at this moment there are several films I would love to see in the cinema.

Unfortunately one (On the Basis of Sex) is at the end of its run and is only shown in Amsterdam and I am not going there. The other one (Le Grand Bain) never played at my local cinema, so I will probably not be able to see that one either. For now. The third one I wanted to see however, was playing here. Albeit at really silly times. Like 10.40am!

But, I really wanted to see that film and I saw that last Saturday it was being shown at midday. Not too bad and I decided to go. 

It was not busy. I think everybody would have fit on one row and there would still have been room left over. But what we got to see was a great film. Well, no, it was a documentary, but very well done and almost filmic in quality. 

Peter Jackson (yes, of Hobbit and Lord of the Rings fame) did a fantastic job with his crew. Bringing World War I very close. If you do get the chance to see 'They Will Not Grow Old' in the cinema: very much recommended. And if you miss it: wait for the showing on television, the BBC was apparently quite involved as well.

9 comments:

  1. I don't like war films at all ! Have only to switch on the News and I have it nearly life ! I like movies to relax me or make me laugh, the last one I saw was the "Green Book" absolutely great it is a very sad story but you have to laugh all the time. The life of a black pianist in the 60th ! He engaged to play in front of 400 people but not allowed to go to the toilet for whites. The one for blacks was a wooden shed outside ! Terrible !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Jackson did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari om
    Yess, BBC, and shown in UK on the telly last year before going to cinema showings. It is indeed fantastically well done. Poignant and showing some very different, almost frolicsome, views from a time of such tregedy. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! No 'experts', no people who have never been there telling you what it was like, just their own words and fitting footage. So well done and I thought it was worth seeing it in the cinema.

      Delete
  4. I shall watch for it on our local PBS station.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only heard great reviews about "They Shall Not Grow Old" and hope to see it if it comes here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love Doc Martin...on PBS locally. I hear they are about to wrap up the series.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you got to see it. I have it listed to come from Netflix on DVD. Also I hope to see On The Basis of Sex pretty soon also.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!