Friday 16 July 2010

Cucumber

Every Dutch person reading this post will know exactly what I'm talking about when I mention cucumbertime. But for all you non-Dutch people reading this blog, I will explain.

Cucumbertime is the word used for the summer months. No new television programs, all the old ones are finished, the only thing on are repeats. Same for the news: the big sports are finished (bar the cycling, but I still think they should just give all those cyclists granny bikes without gears and let them dope up to their hearts content) and the new football (of the soccer version of course) hasn't yet started. The roads are quieter, the neighbourhoods are quieter, even the news is quieter.

Well, it's hit me as well and I am now officially in cucumber mode. Nothing new to share with you. Sorry...

6 comments:

  1. I like that expression. I think I am in cucumber mode quite frequently -- especially in the hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cucumbers are my absolute, positive favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I shall have to use that expression also Mara - it is the same here in UK with TV programmes etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, it's definitely Cucumbertime again. With a big C. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course you have something new to share with us! I just learned a Dutch expression I'd never heard before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well we don't call it cucumber days but we have the same old nothing on TV. I really don't know but people do say the "Dog days of summer" which means:
    is very hot or stagnant, or marked by dull lack of progress

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!