Wednesday 14 July 2010

First Aid

I play unconscious. I couldn't stop laughing though

New European rules state that if I want to be a busdriver I need a new type of driving license. One that proves that over a period of five years I've done at least 35 hours of courses, of which 7 hours are driving hours. One of our new clients has demanded that in order for us to do the work for them, we all need 'proof of good behaviour', CPR/First Aid and New Driving (not a clue).

The legless Marcos are being revived

So, on Tuesday me and several colleagues made our way to the class room for our day long course in First Aid and CPR. During the day we were taught how to recognize concussions, strokes, heart attacks, broken bones and what have you. We were also told how to do CPR (which I already knew and unfortunately have already practised once), turn unconscious people over, lift people and put on simple bandages to stop any bleeding. As long as we participated with the practical side, we would pass that. But at the end of the day we also had to take a written test. I think I made two mistakes (out of thirty), so I passed.

No blood coming through, so I must be alright!

We had to go through a lot of material and it would have been better spreading it out over two days. It would certainly have made it a bit easier on the brain. We did have a laugh though and since I took my camera along, I've got quite a few photos as well.

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on passing the test. I did a First Aid course a couple of years ago, but it took about 14 evenings of trying to resuscitate dolls before we had to take the exams. I passed, but I'm still useless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations... My daughter use to teach this class when she worked for USC Medical.

    I attended one of her classes as a spectator, and was really pleased to see what a good teacher she was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took CPR a couple of times as a teacher, but never thought how useful it could be for a bus driver!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you found a way to make it fun. I used to hate to have to do first aid classes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's better to be a pilot, he just asks if there is a doctor on board, lol !
    But anyway it's very useful also when you walk in the streets, congratulations !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent! It's not a funny topic but your photos did see the humor in it all (legless Marcos?!) Impressive. I should follow your example and learn this useful skill..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh! I wouldn't have been able to stop laughing either! LOL!

    I'm glad you passed everything - and pretty decisively too, with only two mistakes in thirty! Well done. I suppose it's a good idea, since you'd obviously be the first person at the scene if someone had a crisis or injury on your bus.

    I must just add my answer to your question in my ABC Wed 'Z' post, in case you don't pop back and see it. Here's what I said:

    "LOL! Of course not! I would never give a dog alcohol, especially one so old and on so many medications! I meant only that he looked as if he’d been drinking. ;) He didn’t have enough teeth to keep his tongue in his mouth, and greyhounds often sleep with their eyes open, or half open. In an old dog, those two things combine to give them that ‘the rum’s all gone’ look!

    Just one of the ways he reminded me of Johnny Depp’s Jack Sparrow! That and the mix of bravery, insouciance and cowardice!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure you had some good laughs.
    It's always good to be prepared or brush up on what you already knew.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!