Friday 29 April 2022

Tears of frustration

Okay, perhaps not quite the tears, but I can tell you, I am not far off! And this time it doesn't even have to do with my hands, which is even more frustrating. It has to do with a simple pink card.

As you know I lived in Norway for a few years. And while in Norway, I had to have my driver's license renewed. I got all the necessary paperwork in order, went to the department that issued the licenses and then waited until the Dutch authorities gave a positive answer and got my Norwegian license. Then I moved to the UK.

In the UK I had to exchange my license within a year and I was on my way of getting the paperwork done when I moved back to the Netherlands. Where it wasn't necessary to exchange until the license was out of date. Which is December of this year. However...

When in Norway, it took some time to validate my license and to beat that, I made sure I had plenty of time before I had to renew in order to avoid problems. Two weeks ago I got my final course work done, three days ago I had my physical. Everything was in order, everything was fine. Yesterday I went to my local council to renew my Norwegian license to a Dutch one. 

As in Norway, I had to leave my license behind. They have to physically check whether it's valid or not with the Norwegian authorities. In Norway I was issued a piece of paper saying that I was allowed to drive the vehicle categories stated on the paper during the duration. Only in Norway (and Sweden and Denmark), but as that was where I was living anyway, that wasn't a problem. I could still drive and since I do that for a living...

Not so in the Netherlands. No document is issued saying I can drive for the duration of the checks right up to the point of my new Dutch license. If I were to drive, I were to do so uninsured. Which is one thing when you only drive to and from work (and I wouldn't do it then), it's another completely when it is your actual job. Anything goes wrong and both me and the company would be in big doodah!

Which means: I cannot drive. I cannot do my job. So, I checked. Was it correct? Was there a way around this? Short answer: NO. Long answer: DEFINITELY NO. The department won't even tell me how far they are in processing my stuff and there is no way of chasing anybody up, as they won't tell where and how.

Instead of going back to normalcy next week, of getting back into the flow of things, I am grounded yet again. Not sick, but on holiday this time.

PS: Just so you know: I waited 9 months for a Norwegian license. 

7 comments:

  1. On no Mara how frustrating. Hope it is only a matter of days before you get your licence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Struth - is this because it incorporates driving a vehicle with x-number passengers (public sevice vehicle)? I am certain that a standard licence does not take this long between countries (having done that a couple+ times) - in fact, is only a matter of a couple of weeks. And I could drive for 3 months here on my Aussie licence, or similar back there on my UK licence. Crikey, though - imagine how many more films and books you will get through. I hope for your sake this turns out to be quicker than anticipated. YAM xx
    Y=Yamini

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM...
    my long and concerned comment just disappeared. Suffice to say, you have my understanding... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bureaucracy is doing well there. Sorry for the wait and your anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh! Hubby lost his billfold with so many credentials. Trying to get them all back is being a hassle. So sympathies from across the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! I'm so sorry to hear about this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, sorry about the complication with your license.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!