Wednesday 21 August 2019

Aches and pains

Last night before I went to bed, I felt like a little snack and I got myself some 'borrelnootjes'. Basically coated peanuts and I love them. This morning I woke up at about 3 am to go to the bathroom and when I got back into bed, I felt some discomfort coming up. And up. And up! The same pain/discomfort I had had two months ago. 

At 7 am the pain and discomfort had not abated, I had phoned work to say I was sick today and I was on the phone with the emergency doctor's service. After a gazillion questions: come and see us now. So, I got my father up and he drove me to the eds. 

More questions, blood pressure, heart, and then prodding. Ooh, that prodding... Suspected gall problems. I would get a shot that would work within 10-15 minutes. It didn't. Because the eds was closing, I was sent on to A&E (same building), where they would continue my care. I got thingies stuck on me. I got a blood pressure cuff put on (which stayed on). I got a drip with more medication. I got a blanket. I got questions to answer. I had to leave blood and urine behind.

The doctor arrived. By then the pain had subsided fortunately and I was able to endure his prodding without shouting out. The drip was removed. As was the blood pressure cuff and some of the thingies. A wheel chair arrived and I was wheeled to the main hospital (still the same building) where they would do an ultrasound of my internal organs. I was wheeled back.

The results came back a little while later: yep, gall stones. Small ones. It might give me another attack, it might not. But for now, nothing will be done about it. Unless I will have more frequent and more bothersome attacks or if the gall bladder becomes infected, in which case I have to return.

We had arrived at 7.30 and left at 10.45 in the morning. Total cost: the price of a sandwich for my dad. Even the parking was free (they were working on the pay machine). 

Oh, and those coated peanuts? I love them a bit less...

14 comments:

  1. Oh dear! We will be keeping our paws crossed that those stones don't cause you any more pain. Our mom says she sure wishes a trip to the ER here only cost a sandwich but of course it wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about this. I hear that they are painful. I thought that there was a medication to see if they can be dissolved. Anyway I hope that the pain stays away. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must have been bad. I thought you were going to say you had a reaction to the peanuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad they discovered the source of the pain. Pity they can't do anything to dissolve the stones before they cause you more pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the doctor said: it might be the only attacks I ever have and when they don't need to operate...

      Delete
  5. Hari OM
    wuh-woh... sending some POTP... via Miss O and Mouse &*> YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need it: severe muscle pains from all that hullaballoo! No coughing, sneezing, laughing etc... Not fun.

      Delete
  6. Bummer. Glad the meds helped the pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a while, but in the end they did. Last time it lasted until about midday without meds, so was very happy it got resolved a bit faster.

      Delete
  7. Gallstones are no fun, that's for sure! Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Mara I'm sorry to hear you have been feeling so poorly.
    My friends husband had struggles with G. stones too
    take care
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing how getting sick can turn one against something we enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love those nuts as well, but just don't feel as if I could eat them again. I will have to at some point, if only to prove it doesn't do me any harm, but getting over the 'it gave me severe pains' will be tough.

      Delete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!